Definitive Answer from ST Staff Required Regarding Hue Integration

So the day is almost here…one day until groovy shuts down. That fine and accepted…I will be losing control of 5 of my devices regardless of what else happens. I as well as thousands (literally), need to know from a ST member what is going to happen with my hub LAN integration with Hue. For me personally this amounts to 25 devices (lights) and I absolutely will NOT go to the trouble of reintegrating my entire Hue system using the C2C option. If this is what I have to do, I will reintegrate every device I have with Hubitat instead and will have control of every device I currently own without losing a single one. It’s time to be forthcoming on the Hue situation and abandon the Smartthings tradition of keeping everyone in the dark until the last second.

1 Like

There have been some updates to the timeline that made Sept 30 out to be the shut down date. Tomorrow starts the migration, and there are several months before crisis time.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Phil, much appreciated. The DTH shutdown date is good to know, however I still believe ST should start being more transparent on what is happening here. No one here can say they have done a good job thus far with relaying the inner workings of this transition. Thats not to say there arent some awesome ST staff members helping people on this forum but they can only tell what they know and its very apparent even they are being kept in the dark on a great deal.

3 Likes

I will be moving my Hue driver from alpha to Beta by tonight. It supports lights and a bunch of other stuff. Not “ST official” but I don’t plan to wait.

3 Likes

I agree 100%.

What I’ve seen from ST staff specific to Hue is:

• Edge integration is in the works
  • No ETA as yet
  • Replacement of existing functionality to start, possibly enhanced later

Speculation (not from ST staff) is that it could be a Matter integration.

1 Like

Great. Good for you and completely sad that a third party beats the official driver and oem to the punch.

1 Like

To be fair the OEM is working hard on Matter integration for their devices which should offer local integration for many different platforms, including, eventually, SmartThings. That seems like a better use of their resources from an engineering standpoint.

There’s been an update to the update on the FAQ site and in-app notice. Migration now STARTS October 15th

I look forward to this! I also wonder if SmartThings is planning on letting Hue integrate via Matter and not writing a bespoke Edge driver at all…

2 Likes

I was told by a couple ST employees that an Edge driver is in the works and will eventually be open source. Their version should allow for live updates based on changes occurring outside of ST and in the Hue app, as they are building out SSE (Server Sent Events) support in the edge stack. For the time being, I have had to rely on some tricky polling. If I had to guess, the SSE is probably holding them up.

1 Like

Here is the beta launch of my Hue driver. Hopefully it does the trick for you as groovy is sunset.

@Automated_House / @troy_owens Let me know if it works out for you.

4 Likes