Dear SmartThings Staff

The Home Automation IOT Kickstarter that can’t mature past it, despite acquisition by one of the largest consumer electronics companies.

Aspirationally Awesome, Operationally Pathetic.

1 Like

Has this thread got out of control???
Who knows.
All I know is I just walked into my hallway and the lights came on. Again. Very boring. :wink:

3 Likes

It probably should cover at least the following topic…

1 - ST is fun.
2 - It shouldn’t be used for anything critical or important.
3 - It doesn’t work 100%, likely more like 90-95%. If you want your lights to turn on when you want 100% of the time, use something else.
4 - It has a healthy but disfunctuonal community that @Alex has abandoned.
5 - They are still in start-up mode so they still have start-up problems.

I just walked into my workshop and the lights didn’t come on. I then hit my toe on something on the floor. My fault. I should clean up and never trust ST to do anything.

Don’t apply for any marketing jobs, you wouldn’t be hired.

What you propose isn’t possible in any universe.

Dysfunctional? That’s just mean. I think we’re all pretty functional here. Especially @bamarayne’s auto correct.

5 Likes

That is probably why I am not in marketing. I took a marketing class while getting my masters, marketing and ethics are the only two classes I got less than an A in.

Marketing sells ethics doesn’t and any normal person will have a problem with either in business. I been in business management for almost 20 years and these too bother me the most. ethically you should not allow marketing to put half of what they do out but most big companies allow it as we all see everyday. Which I’m guessing it was geared towards business…

1 Like

I only got a B in ethics because the professor was making an attempt the whole semester to make us more ethical and I wrote my final paper that was worth 40% of the on how you can teach [most] people who are the age we were to be ethical and most of our moral and ethical boundaries have already been put in place by our parents, teachers and the media.

There was your problem for the most part millennials have very low everything. That’s society fault and whole other topic.

We can all see why…loool

Just like most of the employees of that grocery store with the long checkout lines…

SmartThings employees care. A lot.

I don’t have the slightest doubt that they want to live up to the expectations set by marketing and more! (even if it would probably make their job a little less pressured if marketing tempered the sales pitch a bit more to the conservative side…).

People at SmartThings are very well aware they are not meeting expectations. Is everyone doing the “optimal” job? Of course not. Very few people and companies are “optimal” and nobody is “perfect”.

Who is held accountable? Depends on corporate culture perhaps… Did Samsung hold someone accountable for letting millions (?) of potentially explosive Galaxy Note 7 phones ship out?

I’m not excusing anyone; but I can also assure you that if I worked at SmartThings I certainly could be “proud of my work” and not “quit”.

As per my first post in this Topic, I’m weary of the consumer complaints, regardless if they are justified or possibly useful to future potential customers. This Topic was addressed to “Dear SmartThings Staff”; believe me, the OP provided zero new information nor asked any new questions.

Is SmartThings well suited to particular consumers for specific purposes? That’s something I like to trust professional product evaluators to determine. Where is Consumer Reports?

6 Likes

You’re really not helping yourself any.

4 Likes

What Terry says +1billion.

2 Likes

x a billion more from me!!! Does anyone have any extra pig wings, maybe I can make this thing fly better…

1. Lipstick
  2. Rocket Up It’s Rear
  3. Profit…

Sound familiar? It is! This is ST’s business plan!

This pig flying is a security solution, but not a security system. I’m writing the Wikipedia page now.

3 Likes

There is no evidence that plane is off the ground.

1 Like

Pigs can fly. The results are not pretty. :scream:

2 Likes

Please keep the conversations on the community constructive and avoid personally attacking each other.

12 Likes