Dashboard Theming (Custom CSS) and Mounting Hardware Ideas

I’m using Kiosk Browser – pricey at $16, but has some extra features (photo screensaver, can keep the screen on, scheduled suspend/wake) and just works well.

Though, I may have gone with Full Screen Browser had I come across it first.

Free is hard to beat when compared to $16

Thanks guys, Full Screen Browser works for me.

1 Like

I picked up a $28 in-wall mount for an old iPad I had laying around. The other side of the wall luckily had a single gang box used just as a junction. I installed an outlet, a low volt pass through, and the charging issue was fixed. Worked pretty good I think, was a pretty quick install (2 hours?) as well. Since then I have re-arranged the tiles. My kids love it, and the WAF is acceptable. Need more things!

4 Likes

[quote=“NotSoSimple, post:891, topic:11222, full:true”]
I picked up a $28 in-wall mount for an old iPad I had laying around. The other side of the wall luckily had a single gang box used just as a junction. I installed an outlet, a low volt pass through, and the charging issue was fixed. Worked pretty good I think, was a pretty quick install (2 hours?) as well. Since then I have re-arranged the tiles. My kids love it, and the WAF is acceptable. Need more things![/quote]

@NotSoSimple
What brand/model of in-wall mount is that?
Is it form-fitting?
Any chance it could be retrofitted in any way for use with other tablets?

1 Like

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Media-Systems-HMSPAD02-In-Wall/dp/B00GUDAFS8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 That is the mount I purchased. It is specifically for iPad 2, 3, 4. I don’t think it would be worth it to try and retrofit other tablets easily. Anything can be done, but I am not good enough with wood/fiberglass/anything else to make it happen.

1 Like

Is it rooted?

I haven’t made it through then entire thread yet, but there’s also a free extension from Google called Google Sign (I believe) that can do the same thing. You have to install it on each chrome device (not sure if it works on tablets) and run it locally unless you have a Google Work account.

2 Likes

Cool!
It’s called “Chrome Sign Builder”.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I will look into using this one. I would love to keep it all within Google.

1 Like

For those of you using macs and Safari. There is a developer mode but it isn’t enabled by default. You have to go into preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar. Has some cool features.

1 Like

@625alex, is it possible to use the font awesome name, “fa-empire” for example, instead of cutting and pasting the icon from the cheatsheet? It would make editing the CSS a bit easier to remember what I pasted there.

In what context? From my understanding, as long as the class is properly defined, using Font Awesome characters within tags will work in many circumstances. Have you tried?

Thanks for getting the info, I don’t have the best memory. :wink:

1 Like

You can write that code directly into CSS and have it work?

I honestly have no idea. You’ll have to ask the CSS tweak experts here, or experiment within whatever custom
CSS you’ve already attempted.

Just saying that we don’t do any special magic; i.e., icons are referred to by Font Wonderful name inside SmartTiles CSS.

Thanks, this works great on our old Samsung tablet! I now have both an Android and a Windows tablet set up as control panels running smarttiles. We will not be mounting them, but they’re going to be so handy for guests. The rest of us have smarttiles setup on our iPhones. I love this!!!

2 Likes

Can you get mpeg video feed on fullscreen browser ?

My current CSS for changing the fan icons looks like:

/*change fan icons*/
.tile.dimmer .icon i.inactive:before {content : "";}
.tile.dimmer .icon i.active:before {content : "";}

It would be easier to edit, the apparent lack of content between the “” isn’t, it is just hidden from view. It would also be easier to remember what icon I used if it was a name and not a hidden image cut and pasted there. I have tried different variations but no luck. Was hoping that the man behind the code had a solution. I thought this might be possible since the other icons used in SmartTiles seems to be from font-awesome I was hoping I could reference it by name.

1 Like

I tried (plus quite a few variations):

/*change fan icons*/
.tile.dimmer {
<div class="icon">
<i class= "active fa fa-fw fa-empire"> </i>
<i class= "inactive fa fa-fw fa-empire"> ::before </i>
</div>
}

No luck :frowning: