Dashboard Theming (Custom CSS) and Mounting Hardware Ideas

I haven’t traced the thread to understand the background of this post, but do you suspect a general SmartTiles problem? If so, could you send me a note ?

Thanks.

Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure it’s just an older device (BlackBerry Playbook) having browser issues rather than a problem with SmartTiles. Cheers!

1 Like

Can someone using the MotionDetector app in Android help me with figuring out how to turn on screen with motion…I also installed Turn Screen apk and can see events being triggered from MotionDetector but the screen just won’t turn on!!

Edit: NM got it working with Tasker

1 Like

Has anyone used a Lenovo Tab 3 8" tablet as their dashboard? It’s designed with a wall hanger/stand. I picked one up at bestbuy today. I think I’m going to 3D print an adaptor so I can mount over a recessed plug.

4 Likes

@Jkimrey I have 2 HP Touchpads that I’m going to put on my wall. Is yours working well?

I’m going to put cyanogenmod on it today and get setup.

Yeah, it’s working well for me.

The resolution is lower than most tablets today but that’s actually a benefit if you don’t have alot of items to show on the dashboard (larger ‘buttons’ makes them easier to see/press).

Let me know how it works out for you.

1 Like

I’m currently prototyping this mount for my Lenovo tab 3, but with the stand/flap hidden behind the tablet

I printed it, and found I needed to pull it from the wall a bit further. I’m now printing a 1/8" plate that will go around my recessed outlet, using the faceplate to help hold it to the wall. The above mount will be hung above my horizontal mounted recessed outlet, on top of the backing plate. The hooks on the mount will be printed in a flexible plastic as the first print(pla) seemed overly stiff. I have a right angle sub cord on the way to supply the power. I’m hoping to include wireless charging in a 2.0 version.

Pics will follow once my prints are done.

2 Likes

@metfoo that’s really cool! Looking forward to seeing pics when you are done.

@NinjaBread Thanks for looking into it. I will eventually give it a go once oAuth is working. Ive also got an old Surface RT thats not doing anything that I hope to re purpose.

Forgive me if this has already been asked, I’m just starting to play around with SmartTiles here and the first think I’m running into re: customization is icons.

I see there is support for changing icons, but I’m not 100% sure of the correct way to do this. For example I have a “Switch” that controls a ceiling fan. What line would I add to the CSS to change this to a ceiling fan icon?

this is where it gets complicated (or so i think from my experience) . . . the icons a set for a “device type” not a specific “device” so if u change the icon for the switch to a fan, then all switches will look like fans . . .

maybe this is something to look into @tgauchat / @625alex — having say 100 default icons or the option to upload your own on a PER DEVICE basis as a pose to DEVICE TYPE basis . . . not a priority but would be nice :wink:

I’m waiting on a right angle USB cable for power. It mounts great. Unfortunately my wife nixed creating a new hole in the wall. I may use the idea else where. For now, the tablet will use the kickstand on the counter. My POC was a success though.

5 Likes

Yah… This is something that is lower on the priority list. The problem is that there are an “infinite” amount of Device Types, but a very “finite” number of Capabilities.

SmartTiles is not intended to fully replicate the functionality of the SmartThings native mobile App. To do so, we would need to have access to the Device Type definition data – i.e., the “`metadata{}'” section.

Doing it piecemeal (i.e., per sets of Devices or options per Capability), may be possible; but can’t do this until Version 6.99. (or some big update to V6) :grimacing:

I dont think you need to make anything customizable device type or capability specific at all, you simply have your default icons as you do now - and in the prefrences you add an option to upload custom icons or images to each of your given devices with a max dimensions/size/etc ehich then acts as an override for just the tile linked to that one device…

1 Like

These are the commands I use in the CSS to use a fan-ish Icon for one of my fan.

.switch[data-device='**device ID**'] .icon i.active:before {color: yellow; content: "✼";font-size:1.3em;line-height:2em;width:100%;margin-top: -1em;} /*  Fan item specific:icon  and color */                                                      
.switch[data-device='**device ID**'] .icon i.inactive:before {content: "✼";font-size:1.3em;line-height:2em;width:100%;margin-top: -1em;} /*  Fan item specific icon and color */
1 Like

That is, in fact, pretty much what we have specd out as the minimum feature request. No release stream targeted, though.

1 Like

@chrisb I was trying to do the exact same thing. Here is a link to a post in this thread from last May when I posted my solution. If you scroll back from there you will find lots of advice on how this was done. I think that @DarcRanger’s example above will give you a starting point to play.

Be careful, this is addicting.

1 Like

Has anyone considered using their floorplan as a “broad” overview of what state each connected item is? It may be too hard to do or not even helpful, but heres my thought:

Upload a floorplan layout, assign the rooms what devices are in it and have that room display overview of connected devices (maybe color coded?)
To control something in that room, you tap said room and it brings up each item for you to control independently

Think of this:

Somehow incorporating each device to its actual room for a quick glance instead of trying to remember what the name of a specific device icon actually controls?

I mean, everyone knows their floor layout, right? the view can be scaled to have multi floor domiciles all displayed on the “home screen”

Im no coder so I dont know HOW to do it, but…

I dont know, it was a thought I had and it may not be feasible or that useful, but thought Id share the idea (if it hasnt been shared already).

1 Like

It’s a great idea, actually, even though it has definitely come up before (I’ll maybe link the Topics in if I can find it).

https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/smartthings/uploads/default/_optimized/6c9/078/04bb670aa5_666x500.jpg

Floor plan based User Interfaces are popular option from the luxury vendors (Crestron, Control4, Savant)… Some or all of which provide certified developers an official API with which to control their “Things”, and the developers have built extensive frameworks and tools to make customized views. The other popular view is even a photograph of each room where you can tap on the image of the lights, etc.

These developer / dealers earn $ thousands per Customer to provide and maintain the customized view / interface.

SmartThings doesn’t provide a very robust client API… SmartTiles barely makes do, though we’re overhauling the back end to do better in Version 6.

With the new V6 back-end (no release date), we may end up with a platform that Floorplan or other “skins” may be eventually be possible. Not sure what the effort will cost… Or if SmartThings’s Customers are willing to pay closer to the luxury, high-margin vendor prices.

7 Likes

I guess I was under the impression smarttiles was headed in that direction but at a much less cost (or free for private use). My apologies.

Thanks for the link, Ill check it out.

1 Like