Dashboard Theming (Custom CSS) and Mounting Hardware Ideas

agreed…the chinese made wall bracket (heavier gauge steel) was only $10…the angle bracket’s claim to fame is that is it laser cut…not that it matters…but I ended up paying for the laser as part of the bracket :frowning:

Nevertheless, it was a cool project

1 Like

That’s a nice setup. You are brave. My wife would not go for a $200 setup. I had to go a lot lower and use my old tablet too. Will post it tonight though.

Trust me, it was a compromise…I have a few thousand dollars into the two houses I have with automation which then she doesn’t like when something fires (or not) unexpectedly… so this was just a small drop in the bucket and she is getting more out of the deal in the way of a major purchase she wants to make. At the end of the day we are both happy, so all is good!.

5 Likes

Yikes, but it does look pro :wink: I’ll have to stick with my removable magnetic wireless setup, only cost me $50 but it did require some drilling through the drywall.

Also for anyone that remembers my setup, someone mention a concern of fire due to over heating of the induction charger. I’ve been monitoring my setup for over a month and it has never gotten extremely hot or even warm :slight_smile: So I think I’m ok. Besides it would be the same hazard if it melts on my desk and set fire to it i guess :smile:

2 Likes

Now this is really nice! Great work!

For the fans I tried using the url(http://…) method of using png and jpg images but couldn’t find any with a good fit and hadn’t figured out how to resize them to fit on the tile. I ended up using the fa-empire icon  from the font awesome site. Cut and paste here doesn’t seem to show it but it looks similar to a snowflake within a circle. I’m happy with that… for now.

I’d like to change out the icon for the Linear GD00Z but the contact switch icon in SmartTiles is rotated 45 degrees it seems odd when cut and pasting something else. It just doesn’t look right. I’m not using any other contact sensors now, but will be in the future so I only want the garage door sensor to be changed so I think I’m going to have to learn how to change the icon specific to that device, and change the rotation for only that device.

Where are all of you editing your CSS? I have SmartThings installed on my HTC One (M7) and the wife’s iPhone 5S. So editing the SmartTiles preferences is on one of the phones which really is kind of a pain in the ass using the phones keyboard and tiny screen. Is there a way to edit and test the CSS on a laptop or computer?

1 Like

Here is the current version of my SmartTiles dashboard as viewed on my Macbook Pro. It isn’t much different on the phone. I have a separate instance for my wife’s phone that is simplified to only show the things she would actually change.

3 Likes

Is everyone using smartthings young couples with no children? :older_man: i feel like im the only with a big family here (10 people living at the house right now)

You are not an only family man a round here.

Any way. @NoMoreClaymores, I promised to post my setup.

I went to Amazon and found this slick eazy mount.

And this is how it looks in real life step by step:

Simple, but it works.

5 Likes

What … no URL for us? :smile:

http://smile.amazon.com/Impact-Mounts-Universal-Detachable-8-9-10-4/dp/B00TLOZY0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431826133&sr=8-1&keywords=impact+mounts+galaxy+kindle

That’s the one. :blush: But seriously, it is an easy and inexpensive setup.

1 Like

The snowflakes look good, thanks for the heads up I think I’ll use that until something else pops up.

When having a home automated house you need to take into consideration that everyone doesn’t think this is as cool as we do or at least cool enough to put the time and effort to make it cool. I had to find “things” that certain family members would use without me giving a full blown PowerPoint presentation on how to use it. In my case I have 2 girls ages 9 and 6 with my G/F (basically wife) who could care less, yet she’s the first one showing off the house to friends and family (go figure)! After showing it off somehow turns around and offers my services #SMH! As much as I love what I’ve done and how perfect I’ve made this house; I don’t think people understand the time it took me to get my home automated house to where I’m at where it doesn’t hinder others in the house. I have many friends that ask me to help them and I’m more then happy to do it, but everyone’s lifestyle is different so it’s hard to automate a house you don’t live in. That’s what I’ve done… I made the home automation basically fool proof and the tap of 1 button can control many moods in my house. I’ve simplified it for my significant other so everyone is happy. 10 people is a tribe dude, but it’s very doable if you have the time and patience!

Good luck!

3 Likes

We have an extended family of 19 who all live in the area and come by often, all let themselves in. Plus housemates and home aides. All in all about 30 people who need to be able to open doors and turn on lights when I’m not around. Including some kids. And a number for whom English is not their first language. So having simple intuitive obvious controls is really important at my house. But every household’s set up is different.

There are enough topics in the community on sleeping babies and school issues that it’s clear there are plenty of people with kids at home, too. They may not have as much time to post, of course! :wink:

3 Likes

Any advice making everything more user friendly??

Multiple dashboards for different people with only the stuff they need. You can also set some to read only so they can’t “play” with the lights.
My daughter begged me to add it to her phone so I gave her everything she needs to see and made it read only, she even has a link to another dashboard that shows our camera (that’s the only thing she can click on).
Was that what you were asking @Eduardo_Veras

5 Likes

Utilize the hello home feature! It’s incredible and you can have many themes depending on your lifestyle.

As far as SmartTiles, what @swindmiller said is key. I have 4 different dashboards with many more to come once I set up the tablets in multiple rooms throughout my home as you can seen in this thread! You can literally put a cheap wifi only tablet at the entrance of any room and create a dashboard for that room.

1 Like

Different things work for different households. This is what works for us:

1. Never schedule lights to turn off because of motion inactivity.

2. Offer an obvious on/off switch for lights in every room. SmartTiles is fine for this as long as it’s clear which tiles are which lights.

3. If you can afford it, adding a wallmount dashboard in each automated bedroom which controls only the things in that room goes a long way towards family harmony. One person unexpectedly turning off the lights in someone else’s room is always a huge xAF fail.

4. Have some “lights on” option that works intuitively in the dark.

I guess mostly make sure that everything can still work the way it worked before you automated, even for guests, with automation providing additional good stuff.

2 Likes

@swindmiller Ok bro I think I have this looking how I want now as my work desktop. I added a bunch of weather tiles to fill up some space. As I build my ST’s platform of “Things” I’ll remove the weather tiles.

@Stroh I used your idea for the fan, thanks!

This is AWAY Mode

This is with someone HOME

6 Likes

Looks so awesome!!!

1 Like