Controlling Two Way Relay

Hi,

I have a Fibaro relay (2 x 1.5kw) that controls two different sets of lights. It works fine with the custom device handler that allows me to turn each set on or off from within the Smartthins app.

But.

I can’t control of the individual elements in automations. I seem to get the option to turn both relays on, or both relays off. It’s incredibly annoying.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Robert

Yeah I’m sure that’s annoying, and you’re not doing anything wrong. The reason why is because the relay is seen as a single device instead of it’s individual switches. What most people do with devices like this is to create a virtual device that links to the individual elements. Here’s a discussion that should help you even though it’s not the same relay:

1 Like

Thank you so much! My Google-fu was failing me, but you have found the perfect link :slight_smile: Many many thanks

1 Like

It is a bit counter-intuitive but when you set up your automations, choose BOTH the relay device AND whichever virtual switch(es) you wish to turn on with that trigger.

As an example I have a Smartenit Dual Load Controller ZBMLC30 with a custom DTH that was coded by Dhawal Doshi. And a Dual Relay SmartApp (JustinTime) that makes them all work together.

I added two virtual switches – one for my Pool Filter Pump and one for the Pool Sweeper Pump.

I forced the BusCop device that appeared on discovery to become a ZBMLC30 “type” relay device with the DTH–then added all three of them to the Dual Relay SmartApp.

When I create automations, I choose BOTH the relay AND–say first the Pool Pump virtual switch–to add to a timer on/off trigger.

Then another, choosing BOTH the relay AND the Sweeper Pump to another similar timer on/off trigger. Each timer acts on the parent relay, AND it’s assigned virtual switch–it took a while to realize I had to include the relay itself with the virtual switches I wanted to control.

1 Like