Controlling Richmat Adjustable Bed Frame?

Afternoon! I recently acquired an adjustable bed frame and I’m wondering if there is any way I can automate and integrate it with SmartThings. The controller doesn’t appear to have any sort of phone app integration. I’ve been trying to figure out the frequency the controller/remote is using to see if I could use a Broadlink RM, but I’m not having a lot of luck.

The remote and controller brand is Richmat.
Controller Model: HJC25
Remote Model: HJH103

Anyone have experience with this product or automating an adjustable bed frame?

Is there an FCC label on the remote? Sometimes it’s inside the battery compartment. Alternatively, it might be an IR remote, in which case there won’t be an FCC label.

There are some people who have done various things with different models of adjustable beds in the past, you can search the forums for those, but it really comes down to the specific model.

The other option, which has the advantage of not voiding the warranty on the bed and maintaining any existing safety features is to use a automated button pusher, essentially a robot finger, to physically push the buttons.

I use these myself because I am quadriparetic, so I have one on a blender button, are used to have one on the microwave before I got a voice controlled microwave, I have one on the eject button on the DVD player.

They work fine, they just can get expensive. You will need one button pusher for each button that you want to be able to push, plus the mini hub that gives you Wi-Fi connection and a SmartThings connection.

The Switchbot brand has an official smartthings integration which works quite well. So you don’t need any custom code. But the button pushers are typically about $35 each (sometimes they’re on sale for $30), and the mini hub is usually around 40. So, like I said, not cheap, but pretty straightforward.

Here’s the review I wrote of these for this forum:

2020 Switchbot Review ( robot button pusher), integration through IFTTT or new V3 app

So if you find out that you can integrate directly via RF, great, but if not the button pusher is another option. :sunglasses:

Thanks for the feedback! I was actually just looking at Switchbot, but it might get a little wonky trying to connect multiple to a single remote. Still not ruling out this option though.

There is an FCC label, but I don’t believe it tells the frequency… or I’m just not following what Google is giving me. This is the info on the sticker:

Model: HJH103
Contains FCC ID: 2AJJGHJCO

It doesn’t appear to be an IR remote. I just went 30+ feet away, through a stairwell, and to a different floor and the remote is still able to access/control the bed.

1 Like

Yeah, based on the FCC ID it’s transmitting on the same frequency as Bluetooth, but it could also be a proprietary protocol.

There used to be a project where you could take the remote apart, remove some parts, solder in some new parts, use custom code, and get it working with smartthings. But the author says that no longer works with the new V3 app and they don’t appear to have any interest in rewriting it for the new platform. If you read all the docs you’ll see that there is somebody there who has the same remote that you do.

However, if it was me, I would just use Switchbot, but I don’t like to get into functionally rewiring a device at this point in my life. :sunglasses:

I’m going to put the link to that project here in case you do want to go down that path. @ogiewon might have some additional comments.

Yep, that seems like a path that I don’t want to go down as well. haha

Switchbot is looking more appealing and looking at the upgrades by frame manufacture, it would be a $500 minimum jump to get the Bluetooth integration.

It looks like SwtichBot is on sale at the moment and they gave me a 10% off coupon. I could get 4 bots + mini hub for $124.20, which seems like a better and more universal deal.

1 Like

As you can see from my review, I like the switchbots and use them. I’m not in love with them the way I was with the similar but better engineered Naran Prota, But Switchbots are much cheaper and, probably not coincidentally, seem to be a much more successful business. They are also way easier to set up and use with more integrations. (With Prota, I really liked the hardware, not the software.)

BTW, I can also highly recommend Sugru for Switchbot projects. This is a moldable rubber. Each package holds a dot about the size of a quarter which is all you need for most things. When it comes out of the package it’s moldable like Play-Doh, and then after 24 hours it sets to a rubber consistency. But it’s also adhesive. So it’s really great for sticking a switchbot onto something and getting the right angle. and if you want to take it off again, you can just by scraping it off, although you can’t reuse it after it’s set. Comes in different colors, too. Cost varies depending on how many you get, but it’s typically around $2.50 a pack in a multi pack.

Project ideas:

Hi there
i just got a voice enabled linak actuator and then realised i have a bed that it won’t fit on.
The Richmat brand is the only maker briefly mentioned in the linak documentation. What model do you have?

Hi JD
I’m looking at this switchbot. Am i right in thinking that it can operate with bluetooth through its app without the internet connection?

The Switchbot can, but the smartthings integration is cloud to cloud, and does require both the Switchbot mini hub and an Internet connection. Same with Voice Control through Alexa. So it just depends on the details of what you’re trying to do. :thinking:

I just want to switch the router off and on when it drops out. I’m disabled and my carer is bitching about having to do it when my wifi goes down in the early hours.

Understood. I have similar issues, although, in my case it’s housemates.

Anyway, Yes, as long as you are home with your mobile device available you should be able to do it without Internet.

Alternatively, If you have an iPhone and use HomeKit, you can also do it with an inexpensive Wi-Fi plug, like Meross. HomeKit runs everything locally, including their app. (Except for Siri voice control, although you may be able to get some voice navigation on your mobile device even without the Internet, it just depends on the specific features you need.)

ok great, thanks.
Merry Christmas

1 Like