Control Panel for SmartThings?

I started out with wanting to install a wireless security system in my house, however, after much DD I’ve decided that using SmartThings as the brains for a security system is the way to go given all the cool things you can do with it. As part of the system, I would like to have a wall mounted control panel (much like a conventional security system). I read in another blog where someone used an android tablet (which wakes up on detected motion using the front camera) to accomplish this. How cool is that?? anyway, I was wondering, as an alternative could I use a 2gig control panel in lieu of setting up an old tablet? Does anyone have any insight on how to do this if it is possible?

I would also like to know if SmartThings can connect with a standard wireless door/window sensor.

Thanks

Hello,
This is the exact reason I moved to ST as well. I haven’t found the perfect fix yet. The best setup I can come up with is the tablet running smarttiles.

1 Like

Hi,

I hear ya. I just want to be sure that it’s possible to accomplish what I want to do before dropping a lot of coin on a new hobby! :smiley:

Welcome! You can get some integration with two gig, but not full control panel functionality.

As others have mentioned, most people are using smarttiles, which is a third-party customizable dashboard app that can run in just about any browser, and then there are all kinds of different ways that people have mounted different kinds of tablets for use with that.

www.smarttiles.click

If you check the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki and look in the projects section, there’s a list just for “dashboard” topics that should have most of the information you’re looking for.

For two gig integration, you would need to look under the security lists.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

2 Likes

Thank you.

Looks like a wealth of information there.

Is there a section dealing with standard door/window sensors?

There is a project list for sensors, but it depends on what you’re specifically interested in. If this is for a security project I would look first at the list for security.

If you’re just interested in different features of different brands, the following FAQ might be more on point:

1 Like

The Simple Device Viewer is another SmartApp that provides a web dashboard which can display all your contact sensors, but it’s not nearly as robust as SmartTiles.

I’m in the middle of developing a zone based security SmartApp that will have a web dashboard which might be more along the lines of what you’re looking for.

It’s called Simple Zone Monitor and the alpha version should be available within the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting…where will it be available to look at once it comes out?

Ok…Thanks, I’ve read a bunch already and there seems to be an endless supply of info to pick from…thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It is much appreciated.

1 Like

I’ll post it as a new topic in the “Projects and Stories > Community Created SmartApps” section.

I’ll also mention that it’s available in the “Smart Alarm needs a leader” topic and I’ll try to remember to post something here too.

1 Like