Connect tuya lightbulbs and switches to smartthings

Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked quite a few times but with the recent changes to tuya and ifttt. Whats the best way to integrate tuya to ST?

I am quite new to the whole automation so may need abit more explanation lol.

1 Like

What other setup/things do you have?

Personally, I’m using Amazon Alexa to do it via virtual switches, which works flawlessly for me. This is the tutorial that I followed: https://thesmartcave.com/smartthings-with-any-alexa-device/
Essentially, Alexa can see the switches, and so I use her Routines to flip on/off virtual switches that ST can see.

I’m under the impression that Google Home does not have the same capabilities, but since I don’t have one set up (yet), I’ve only heard this second-hand.

Sadly I don’t have any other ideas past Alexa. Hopefully someone else can chime in with something else!

3 Likes

I have been using the same method as Stacie for a couple of months. Works well enough for my Tuya (Lohas) lights. But there is a delay of a couple of seconds from triggering the motion sensor to the lights coming on.
I have a raspberry pi coming tomorrow so I am going to look at upgrading the bulbs firmware to Tasmota. Just one to start with and if I can get that working and integrated into ST I will do the others.
Currently not sure if there is a method to bring RGB bulbs into ST this way though going by a comment I just read on another thread (to do with Tasmota Connect?). Trying to find more information as I type :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The best way is to flash them with Tasmota using Tuya convert OTA (you will need a Raspberry Pi) and then use the Tasmota connect smart app. Clean, simple, fast.

1 Like

Thanks. Do i need to do much coding with it? I heard rasberry pi home assistant can be complicated?

There’s no code that needs to be written but it is vaguely technical. You don’t need HA on the Pi though, just Raspian will suffice. How comfortable would you be installing it ? (There’s plenty of guides on the web) Once that’s done, the tuya convert instructions are here : GitHub - ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert: A collection of scripts to flash Tuya IoT devices to alternative firmwares - that a look and judge how hard you think that looks.

I’m a dummy and I figured it out. There’s a YouTube video you can follow. Takes about 15-20minutes to do.

Well I set up the Pi today and installed tasmota. The Youtube guide was using a Wemos D1 Mini (as the donor device) which I do not have. I asked the uploader about this and he said I could just use my phone. Was not sure about this and was going to search for a different guide but gave it a go. It worked really well which shocked me just how easy it was. My test bulb now has Tasmota firmware and is in ST. As soon as it was added to ST it automaticaly got added to Alexa and it is working there too. In ST I setup an ST motion sensor and added the Tasmota bulb to it along with a bulb still on Tuya frmware. The Tasmota one turns on instantly, compared to the Tuya one which takes a couple of seconds. This is great as the delay has always bugged me a little.
There is only one issue and that is I am unable to configure white light using the app or Alexa. All the colours, on/off and dimming etc works, just not white lights (though will all the colours turned down it is nearly white). Not sure where to ask about this but I assume a Tasmota forum? I am sure it is just modfiying the template slightly?
Also, I tested it with the Internet down and I am able to control the light from its web server in a browser. This is a bonus as this has not been possible before with Tuya firmware.

1 Like

Been playing with the templates for ages. Unable to get this working how I want (colours and whites working properly). Going to try to abandon colours and see if I can just get whites working and if not I am going back to Tuya firmware. Blue tinted lights just dont cut it for me even if they respond quicker.

I also flashed an old LED strip, which worked but I have a similar situation, I can get some blues out of it (Which I don’t mind, as it was usual set to blue anyway) but not full colour range control. I spent an hour playing with templates and couldn’t intuitively see how they worked for different devices.

1 Like

I just found the white command at the console. This will do me for now. Just have to remember not to set any colours in ST or Alexa (else its back in to the console).

Definitely liking Tasmota. In the process of creating a web page on my LAN server. This I am using to send commands to the lights via http. Using bootstrap buttons to create a tile interface. When finished I will be able to control all aspects of the lights (colours, dimming, white, on/off) from chrome on my phone. It works even if the Internet is down and no access to Alexa, though I may use it more often. The Tuya app was no use at all when the Internet was down so this is like a whole new system to me. Wish I had done it months ago :grin:

I know this is a smartthings forum but if you are just looking to use your tuya products with ifttt than you do not need smartthings for that. You are most likely using Smart Life app for you tuya products like I was but after watching this video…https://youtu.be/9OGCvXrm18A. I have now switched to brilliant smart app and I can now connect with ifttt again.

The issue for people who are trying to create the integration with SmartThings is that the brilliant Ifttt channel is showing the same problem that the smart life channel had a couple of months ago when you try to set up two way integration. So it’s OK for some use cases, but not others.

Smartlife -> IFTTT integration to end on May 26, 2020