Child devices in new app

@blake.arnold, my understanding is that, OneApp works with device plugins, some capabilities from the classic app has equivalent device plugins in OneApp, like Temperature measurement or Switch. If this is listed in the DH then the OneApp will pick it up and provide the plugin for it, and if the attributes and commands were followed then it can work in the OneApp without any issue. (I am not mentioning here some dependencies of capabilities like Switch and Health check.)
For device development there are some already made path with the device profiles and vendor ids. If a device profile has already been created and published then it can be reused by any DH if the corresponding vendor id (vid) is referenced in the metadata. If it referenced then the OneApp will follow the device plugin assigned to the vid and will disregard the selected capabilities when it displayed in the app. Ie. If a DH of a switch would have the vid generic-thermostat, then it will not display any Switch option in the OneApp, but temperature, operating state etc. (Just for example as misassigning capabilities related to the real functionality.)
@mark_cockcroft has made a list in the other topic of the thermostat related vids. I guess he looked into the DHs of the public repo and searched for vid and the connected capabilities. Device Handler update to support new STSC app
The only problem, that the current documentation is not containing all capabilities and, I haven’t found yet, there isn’t a list of vendor ids and connected capabilities. Some of us could reuse the already published vids, meanwhile others should have to create new device plugins to match functionality with the Classic app.
It is more frustrating that some of the documentation seems to be incorrect, or not working. I was in a search for a device profile/vid for a camera which does Image Capture. Indeed, I have Image Capture as capability in my DH, but it is not working in the OneApp and neither listed as a capability in the developer documentation, neither selectable in the Dev workspace, but it must exist as the Cloud-connected devices section of the documentation has a reference table to device handler types with c2c-camera-2 and c2c-doorbell-2. Although c2c-music-player-2 is in the reference list with Music Player and Audio Notification capacities, but Music Player is depreciated and Audio Notification is not documented. Anyhow, I couldn’t make my camera working with Image Capture in the OneApp yet (tried c2c-camera-2). I know that the Ring and Smartthings cameras are working in the OneApp and they have corresponding device plugins.
So, it would be really useful if the documentation could be updated to be a bit more complete and accurate. And it would be useful for all of us, if we could have a generic list of vids with connected capabilities what we could use in our DHs. I believe it would make our integration/transition to the OneApp easier. Later on then we can try to work on custom device plugins if the generic ones wouldn’t be good enough. That is a small step forward, but it would make it worth for the whole community.
Please correct me if I understand the things wrongly.

Thanks for the help!

Gabor

1 Like