Check your Hub V2 Batteries: might be leaking! Recommended hub batteries?

Thanks. I see that I miss a lot of things when I haven’t visited this site for a few weeks.

For cleaning up the battery acid, a paste made of baking soda and water will neutralize the acid. Rub it on the white residue and then wipe clean with a damp cloth. Make sure the hub is completely dried after cleaning.

My hub and batteries are less than 6 months old. The hub battery compartment is trashed as well as the leaky batteries! Add me to the list, I checked them after I got supports email.

Actually, the batteries are alkaline, so to neutralize it, you need to apply acid, e.g. lemon juice or vinegar.

1 Like

You’re right.

Here is the correct info for AA batteries:
Potassium hydroxide is a caustic agent that can irritate the respiratory system, eyes, and skin, you may want to take a precautionary extra step of using vinegar or lemon juice (both acids) to neutralize the alkaline build-up. Use a Q-tip or an old toothbrush and carefully wipe away.

1 Like

I purchased my SmartThings V2 hub in December (less than 2 months old), and got the recent email about the firmware update and battery issue. I just pulled my batteries out, and sure enough, there was white residue everywhere. I spent the last 30 minutes cleaning the battery compartment using vinegar and alcohol, so I’m not a super happy camper right now. :frowning:

Sure enough, my batteries popped as well.

Mine too. I just emailed support that I wanted a replacement as I still hear something rattling in my hub even after cleaning the battery tray (the gasses may have corroded something else). My hub is a few months old. Obviously a design flaw that warrants a recall. I see this post had been around for a while. Smartthings should have sent an email sooner. Very frustrated.

Wow - my hub (and damage) looks almost identical to yours! I think I plugged mine in at Thanksgiving, so about 2 months for me also. I haven’t even begun to think about the cleanup involved. What a mess.

FWIW, I checked my hub after receiving the ST email and reading through this thread, only to find that I had apparently had the foresight to install rechargeable Energizers during initial set up (just before Christmas). No leaks and no warmer than the surrounding hub. The hub is also on a UPS.

Seems this set up allowed me to dodge a bullet, tho I haven’t tested the batts for voltage. That said, can any of you engineering types speak to potential problems with such a set up? Seems now is as good a time as any to evaluate…

Well, the batteries corroded because the hub was sending a current to them. When your rechargeable batteries receive a current, they charge (assuming it’s the proper voltage). A good charger stops sending a current when the batteries are fully charger, the ST hub didn’t.

So by sending a constant current to your rechargeable batteries after they’re fully charged, you might be damaging them.

Edit: Don’t believe this post!

Someone else measured it and said it was a constant draw, hence the batteries went flat, developed gas inside and then ruptured. Mine certainly were dead flat after just 2-3 months. Samsung also notified about parasitic draw and that the latest firmware fixed a ‘battery drain’.

Oops! Sounds like I got tit the other way around :slight_smile:

I saved my hub by removing the batteries and I then left them next to my hub… 2 weeks later I noticed that one of the batteries leaked on my furniture ruining the finish!! Sucks… I should have recycled them right away!

BTW, did anyone here receive anything from Samsung after filling out the “my batteries are dead, please give me new ones”-form in the “SmartThings Hub Firmware Update & Backup AA Batteries” email?

I am not sure if it was because I said I was living in The Netherlands, but I haven’t received a single reply since submitting that form…

My batteries came yesterday, but I live in the US

I received a coupon code via email for a free set of 4 batteries to be purchased from the ST website.

Same here! Result! Shame they don’t sell Xiaomi kit on Amazon :slight_smile: 5 quid would buy me a temp sensor!

Dang, wish I had gotten an Amazon gift code rather than some generic “$6.99” batteries.

Edit: I know Samsung has a thing with batteries, but did they really need to send my 4 AA batteries in a 6x6x6 box?