HUB Backup AA Battery Info email from ST

I just received an email from ST indicating that they’ve discovered an issue with the 2.0 firmware version 0.16.9, which may cause the battery backup to deplete sooner than expected. A firmware updated is expected.

It goes on to say that a depleted battery may produce a white crusty powder. As a child, I remember many a battery powered toy being rendered useless from this substance.

So out of curiosity, I popped the bottom cover off my HUB. To my surprise, 3 of the 4 batteries were solidly encrusted with the white substance. My HUB is under a year old.

I’m really grateful that ST sent out an email regarding this, and I’m even more happy that I decided to check my batteries.

Is there a way to see the battery health from the IDE or otherwise? Does the HUB send a warning when the batteries are getting low, or when there is a fault?

I would highly suggest that everyone pop the cover off and take a peek.

Cheers

1 Like

Ah, thank you. I missed that thread.

MODS: Please feel free to delete my post.

It’s not just Kirkland’s brand. ALL brands have leaked so far.

Potassium hydroxide is a caustic agent that can irritate the respiratory system, eyes, and skin, you may want to take a precautionary extra step of using vinegar or lemon juice (both acids) to neutralize the alkaline build-up. Use a Q-tip or an old toothbrush and carefully wipe away.

Also wear safety glasses. It is usually easy to clean using what is mentioned above, just don’t soak it.

All good tips. Do you happen to be an EH&S manager for a living?

I just opened that cover a month ago, and there was no issue t that time. Will have to have a look again tonite and will replace, just as a precaution

Or use lithium batteries.
They last much longer and don’t leak (but explode :grinning:)

Alcohol, q-tips and popsicle stick will do the job as well and is less likely to cause you harm.

I just checked my batteries, as my ST is just a few months old i couldn’t believe they would leak, but two of them actually did!
Just in time.

I now left out the batteries, we don’t have many power outages here.

does this issue relate to the batteries cooking in the hub and sometimes smoking?

I don’t know what EH&S is so I’m pretty sure I’m not a manager.

haha. Environmental, Health and Safety.