Cheap recommended sensors for smartthings v3

Hi, I noticed since about a year ago samsung stopped making their sensors and I can’t seem to find any cheap smartthings compatible sensors on amazon. I can find like a sensor that has like temp+humidity+motion for like $40, but I can’t seem to find like those samsung sensors that went for under $20.

So can anyone provide some recs on cheap sensors that work w/ smartthings v3? I’m looking for $20 and under. Looking for motion sensor, water sensor, temp sensor.

Thank you.

You’re right: Samsung is no longer making smartthings branded devices or hubs.

However, they are partnering with other companies to make them, in some cases they are the same device is just with a different logo. They might be at a different price point, though.

Aeotec is the hardware partner for the US and the UK/EU. Most of their devices are already available in Europe. Some have been released to the US and the rest are expected to arrive pretty soon. So if there was a particular smartthings model you really liked, you can just wait for the Aeotec version. But again, the pricing may be different.

Otherwise, you can just check the forum for discussion of other brands. I know there’s a thread on cheap contact sensors. There was also one just this morning on water leak sensors.

Water Leak Sensors 2021

Needing cheap contact sensor (2020)

Zooz is a popular bargain brand. They are the house brand for the smartest house retailer, and the company has done a very good job of keeping up with changes in smartthings technology, including getting ready for the new edge drivers. So I expect them to continue to be popular. :sunglasses: those are Z wave, though, not Zigbee.

If you just need a temperature/humidity sensor, it’s hard to beat the price on the sonoff Zigbee version. It says it needs its own hub, but you will use a smartthings hub instead. The temperature sensor is the SNZB02 in case you land on a different product. (I had trouble getting the link right.)

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Humidity-Checking-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B08BCJNDYQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HDF76SNRBXSW&dchild=1&keywords=SONOFF%2BSNZB-02%2BZigbee%2BTemperature%2Band%2BHumidity%2BSensor&qid=1635286764&qsid=139-8974340-1007824&s=amazon-devices&sprefix=sonoff%2Bsnzb-02%2Bzigbee%2Btemperature%2Band%2Bhumidity%2Bsensor%2Camazon-devices%2C327&sr=1-1&sres=B08BCJNDYQ%2CB08YJBMMC1%2CB07Z77FK4C%2CB0872ZWV8X%2CB01H1R0K68%2CB08GKGS197%2CB07Y36FWTT%2CB08PKWPKM2%2CB08JP39RLP%2CB06XKH666P%2CB01EZV35QU%2CB01J1E5LWM%2CB00T0K8NXC%2CB07D37FKGY%2CB07D37VDM3%2CB087313N8F%2CB004AP92N2%2CB08LKCLFR6%2CB07D1CRRVF%2CB07GNMKYCZ&th=1

Here’s a discussion thread where you can talk to people who have it:

Does anyone know if this Sonoff device works? (SONOFF SNZB-02 Zigbee Temperature and Humidity Sensor)

The official integration for the SNZB-02 is currently broken

1 Like

it’s hard to beat Aqara’s price.
motion+illuminance
temp+humidity+pressure
both about $10 on AliExpress

I read in an amazon review that Aqara sensors had connectivity issues if I tried to use more than 1. Do you know if that’s still the case? @veonua

wow thanks for all your responses @JDRoberts . It looks like sensors are coming back in stock definitely. I didn’t know about the smartest house.

1 Like

Having had an armful of Aqara sensors for years I can say there are very few issues as for this price tag.
The ST hub is much less reliable.

1 Like

Hey @JDRoberts.
I live in Australia and our products are slightly different to yours… (and Samsung Support is shocking compared to that of the USA )

I am using a SmartThings Hub.
Model Number IM6001-V3P06

Would the temp and humidity sensor you just mention work with it??

This is the one i have.

It should since it’s Zigbee, but you’re responding to a post which is two years old and a lot has changed in that time. Specifically, I’m not sure if there’s an edge Driver yet so that it will work with the new architecture which was introduced in 2023. :thinking:

You might check that thread I linked to and see if anybody’s still using it.

OK, I just checked that thread, and it looks like Mariano, who is one of the most prolific community developers does have an edge driver that works with it, so you may need to use that, but otherwise, you should be good.

Hey buddy,
Thanks for replying. Hehe didn’t realise it was from 2021.

Temperature reading is my main priority.
Humidity not so crucial to me, but fabulous if it does work.

What’s an “edge driver”? And how do i get it from Mariano? Apologises for asking naive questions. I’m an Electrician here in Australia, but really just getting my feet wet into this automation space.

1 Like

Start here:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

1 Like

You will find the invitation for Mariano’s drivers here.

2 Likes

Thankyou Bruce