Changing Z-Wave Metering Switch Polling Frequency?

All - I’m trying to adjust my polling frequency of my metering device from the standard 5 minutes to something like 10 seconds. I’ve done this successfully for the Aeon Home Energy Monitoring Device by adjusting the parameters in the Device Handler. I’ve done the same with the Z-Wave Metering Switch Device Handler to no avail. I found the original SmartThings handler on Github, made a copy, created my own device handler, and simply adjusted the parameters from 300 seconds to 10 seconds in the following code:

result << response(delayBetween([
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 101, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 4).format(),   // report power in watts
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 111, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 10).format(), // 10 seconds
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 102, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 8).format(),   // report energy in kWh
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 112, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 10).format(), // 10 seconds
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 103, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 0).format(),    // no third report

I suspect the SmartThings device handler is receiving a standard polling timing from the switch itself and not using my defined 10 second setting. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I’m using the Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS

Thanks!

Right here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-aeon-metering-switch.src/my-aeon-metering-switch.groovy

Thanks. Where within the device handler do I change the time between updates?

I appreciate the help on this. I’ve tried several device handlers for this Aeon Z-Wave Metering Device, but cannot find even one that will update the power usage data on a fast basis. I have several of these devices and have tried adjusting the device handler on multiple units to ensure it wasn’t just a bad unit. My basic use case is to receive notification when certain devices are turned on our off, as indicated by their power usage change (like a space heater for example). Without fast polling, I find out far later than I would like. Any additional advice anyone has would be great. I’m using a V2 hub (just upgraded everything yesterday - that was fun, NOT!).

Did you try my device handler and go to Preferences to change the reporting type and frequency? Tap on the gear in the upper right hand corner, change report type to 1, and then for “don’t send unless watts have changed…” set that to 1 watt, and the next option also set to 1 (% change).

Hi John. I did try that. Something really squirrly happening. I went back to the old device handler and used configuration parameters to set the reference frequency of reports 1 & 2 and that seems to have done the trick. I then setup a push notifications and triggers in CoRE to alert me when my daughter turns on the space heater in her room (at 1200 Watts - yikes!) so I get the notification on my apple watch. Good stuff!

1 Like