Changes to SMS Service

I’m a recent (yesterday) Canadian Wink refugee and have just installed my SmartThings Hub. I was quite surprised to see that there’s no email notifications available and that Canadian mobile numbers aren’t supported. I’ve been using voip.ms for years and have a US number which accepts texts, but it doesn’t seem to work for SmartThings notifications. Was there anything special you needed to do to get your voip.ms number working?

1 Like

The simplest option for anyone (anywhere in the world) is to sign up for Google Voice and get a US number. It’s free, accepts SMS messages and even email it to you. You can check the message from within the Google voice app itself or from your email if you’ve enabled email forwarding.

2 Likes

The problem is that Canadians can’t sign up for Google Voice!

There is a built in driver for Twilio on Hubitat. I’m not sure if you can use it on SmartThings.

SharpTools.io rules engine supports Twilio.

3 Likes

Almost certain you can only get a US number for Google Voice if you are in the US.

1 Like

Almost true… :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve had a Google Voice number for donkey’s years and never used it. It works perfectly in SmartThings. I remember that, as a Canadian, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to set it up, but those details escape me. I just checked and I’ve got a $0.10 credit from 2009, so it has been a while.

2 Likes

Did you register the u s number with smartthings? I don’t remember the process but there was an exchange of texts before st accepted your number

1 Like

When I put my voip.ms US number into SmartThings I didn’t get the initial text notification from 844-647 to register. I tried using the voip.ms text gateway to send a text directly, but it tells me that 844-647 is an invalid number. I get other texts to that number, so I’m not sure what the issue is. I know that not all voip.ms sms numbers work the same way, it depends on how the number was registered with the carrier somehow.
In any event, I was able to use my Google Voice number which worked as expected, so all is good.

Found a far easier way, I just used https://www.clicksend.com which has a cool feature to send an email to them and have it converted to text… so no coding was needed in Webcore, a simple email, with my username and API code in the subject line and boom!

Literally could not be simpler, try the referral link http://clicksend.com/?u=178271

Hello Brett,

Your code works great, thank you.

How about if I want to send the same text to two or more numbers? I tried to add each number in the sms_number string definition with a “;” between the numbers. But this did not work. Can you help with the code for this?

Thank you.

BR,

John

1 Like

How to forward sms to international number from google voice number? I have verified Google voice number but sms can only be forwarded to either gmail or a US phone number.

Thank you for this solution - cheers

*(astric) I think is the correct separator

Have got it worked with SmartThings webCoRE, Twilio and Pipedream integration for calls. So if SmartThings motion sensor detects motion or window/door sensors opens while security in Armed Mode on SmarthThings Home Monitor, it makes a call with a voice message to mobile via Twilio API.

You can set the Twilio SMS option on Pipedream if you like to receive text instead of call.