CES 2022 (January 5-7, 2022)

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Coming Only in Korea

1 Like

I’m keeping an eye on the Zooz Z-Box Hub, should be a pretty interesting development since it’s a partnership with Fibaro.

2 Likes

The article says:

A vertical screen is actually more useful for smart home control than a horizontal one, as you can fit more icons on the screen that way and ideally have quick access to more controls.

This confused me at first because putting the same tablet horizontally gives you exactly the same amount of space as its vertical position, it’s just arranged differently.

6” x 8” and 8” x 6” are both 48 square inches of area.

For devices held in your hand a vertical design may be more ergonomic because of the width your thumb can reach. But once you put it in a stand or on the wall orientation is about aesthetics and the width of any images you want to include.

But the author is referring to a Samsung design issue which @milandjurovic71 detailed below: they are putting the same number of icons in each row whether it is horizontal or vertical, which is why you get more icons with a vertical orientation. It doesn’t have to be that way, but it’s the way that the Samsung UI designers apparently did it.

3 Likes

Hmmm
the refusal of Samsung to respond is certainly weird. But shouldn’t this question also have been put to Aeotec? since they’re the hardware partner for ST in North America, Europe, and Australia and they are a major zwave device manufacturer.

1 Like

This is a very good question. The previous two generations of dongle included z-wave, so it does raise some eyebrows that this one doesn’t. Hopefully Aeotec has z-wave support written into their hub firmware contract with Samsung.

Here’s the FCC filing for the dongle. I found it just before Christmas:

2 Likes

Be still, my heart! LOL!

The issue is always in the details, but this sounds awesome!

Today, Amazon announced what it calls “Commissionable Endpoint Alexa” capability. That’s a key part of setting up Alexa to control other devices across platforms and systems. Essentially, it allows Alexa to be added as a Matter Administrator for a device that’s already set up. It also sets up the device to use Alexa either via the cloud skill or via a local network through Matter. This helps devices function even when there’s a connectivity issue.

Note that this won’t work as yet for devices connected to a SmartThings hub because of Samsung’s earlier announcement that the hub will NOT function as a Matter bridge, so ST can bring Matter devices into the ST app but will not expose devices connected to an ST hub to other mattercompliant apps and services. But still

This is awesome! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This part is really interesting:

The company says the monthly cost to lease the new Advanced Gateway will continue to be $14 a month.

That would be very cheap for that technology. Interesting!

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Homey has been an interesting hub offering in Europe for several years, definitely improving over time. It will definitely be interesting to see if it can gain any traction in the US market.

2 Likes

@JDRoberts Well
 Screenshots are speaking for itself. Same tablet, different orientation.

2 Likes

Ah, Samsung UI design. Got it. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks like they are only releasing the “bridge” version for the US, and not the “pro” version which supports local access and processing, which makes it a non-starter for me
 Just give me a hub with Z-Wave, Zigbee, HomeKit and API/MQTT control and I’d be a happy man. I don’t even care if it has a rules engine as I can use Home Assistant for that. Sigh

2 Likes

That’s correct, the Homey Pro version is not approved for US (the Z-Wave radio has wrong frequency). Interesting to see how well Homey bridge will succeed in competition with ST.