Since the SmartThings Service and Developers have been unable to solve my problem for three months, I am coming in frustration to the community to see if someone has experienced my problem and has a solution.
The history of my problem is very long and a lot has been attempted, e.g. deleting and reentering locations dozens of times, resetting everything dozens of times, deinstalling and reinstalling apps dozens of times, etc. I will therefore keep my summary short and hope this contains enough information to identify the problem:
Summary: the new app does not see any active locations and devices, but the classic app (and IDE) does. We believe this is because we are unable to set the default location (or any location) to “true”. Since I have the newer WiFi hub combined with SmartThings, I am supposed to use the new app and will be forced to eventually migrate in any case, so I need to get the new app working.
- We migrated my account in April from Germany where I used to live to the U.S., since I was unable to add some devices that are not allowed in Europe (my real location is Florida). Everything in SmartThings except for these specific devices were working at the time. This problem began after the migration of the account to the U.S., even after deleting all devices and the location and starting from scratch many times. I double-checked with Samsung corporate and was assured that my account was properly migrated.
- I do not wish to setup an alternative account, because I use my Samsung account intensively for Samsung Pay, etc. Do not suggest this as a solution.
- The new app always requests that I save the WiFi hub to a room in a new location. Once doing this, it is not seen anymore in the app, basically vanishes. However, I can see the WiFi (only) hub in the menu panel after a day or two and then use Plume, but the SmartThings hub shows as offline (in the new app) and I am unable to add any devices. The WiFi hub shows only on the panel and not in the app itself.
- I can create a location and add devices if I use the classic app instead. The SmartThings hub indicates online in that app. IDE reflects the classic app, but the new app is empty and does not show any locations entered using the classic app or IDE.
- The very patient person helping me on the service line also thinks the problem may be caused by the fact that we are unable to set the default location to true. No matter what we do and edit my location, it always saves to false. We have tried many, many variations of locations and always have this problem.
- SmartThings development can not find the problem
If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it. I am headed back to Germany for a couple of months soon and need a solution before then. Otherwise, I will need to bite the bullet and install all devices using the classic app with the knowledge that I may have to reset everything in the future.