Can I use Ecobee3 to control multiple disconnected zones

The new unit I am moving into has four individual thermostats controlling an electric radiator each. I am not keen on purchasing three new ecobees for this new setup.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on some less expensive thermostats that I could somehow control based on ecobee settings and motion sensors.

-If ecobee is on, and a room is sensed as occupied, turn on thermostat.

• If ecobee is off, turn off all generic thermostats
  • Maybe some adjustments based on ecobee home/away modes. I haven’t thought this through yet.

IDeas?

Yes, there is already an app for that. And it’s been used by many of my contributors.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule

The smartapp can do even more features based on the concept of zones:

• Control of smart vents to create physical zones
  • Alternative cooling
  • Avg temp calculations based on any ST temp/motion sensors to make adjustment to your ecobee’s setpoints
  • More heat/cool thresholds based on an outdoor temp sensor.

Regards.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Do you recommend a particular z-wave thermostat?

I’m not an expert in Z-wave thermostats as I mainly use ecobee at my home.

Look up for feedback in the ST community forum on the CT-100 and GoControl thermostats.

You can ask @RBoy for any good z-wave thermostats. He’s created good DTH for z-wave thermostats as well!

P.S. EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule requires MyEcobee device as a prerequisites as it takes advantage of the advanced & comprehensive integration I’ve built with SmartThings. For more details, refer to

2 Likes

Depending on your electric radiator, you may also want to look into the Stelpro. I have it at home to control electric baseboards in my basement and it works very well.

The CT-101 and CT-100 are xcellent thermostats. The stock device handler works well for basic programming if you want some advanced features you can check out the Enhanced Z Wave thermostat device handler.

There is a new z wave plus version of the CT thermostat that’s out that you can purchase from ZooZ @TheSmartestHouse

Thanks for tagging us @RBoy

Here is the link to the new CT100 Plus thermostat:

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you all for the input. I have a few projects before I get to this, but I have some ideas now.

Hi @brendonwbrown,

I’ve recently added more features to ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule as posted under my thread:

The smartapp has become even smarter!
To download the code, go to

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store
Regards.