Ecobee-like thermostat app

Hi all,

I had an Ecobee 4 at my previous house. I really loved the occupancy sensing and multiple room sensors. It worked very well overall.

About six months ago, we moved. The new house has an awesome split heat pump system (one heat pump, two air handlers) but each zone is controlled by a really basic Mitsubishi-branded Honeywell thermostat that communicates via RedLink to the heat pump.

I added the RedLink internet gateway to be able to control the thermostats via SmartThings, and that works well enough. However, I’d like to take it a step further and imitate the Ecobee functionality using multiple motion sensors and temperature sensors.

Is there an app out there that does such a thing (control the temperature via multiple sources, and turn off the thermostat when nobody’s home?).

Thanks!

Hi,

If your thermostat is connected to SmartThings, then you can leverage all your ST connected temp/motion/contact/presence sensors by using the following smartapp based on the concepts of rooms/zones/schedules:

• The code has been around for more than 5 years, and can average out all your rooms’ temp sensors and adjusts the thermostat setpoints for far away colder/hotter rooms. It’s the most advanced zoning smartapp under the ST platform.

• It can also set your thermostat to away or present based on your motion sensors.

• You can choose different calculation methods for your sensors: average (by default), median, mininum, maximum, heat-min/cool-max.

And many more use cases, refer to the ST community wiki for more details:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones#Supported_Features

• I’d not recommend to set your tstat to off in case of a problem with SmartThings (outages, scheduling issues). In the Northeast and other parts of the US & Canada, turning off the thermostat may result to pipe bursting in the winter or mould in the summer…

You can download the code at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Thanks Yves,

I’ll check it out!

If you have access to RBoy Apps you can also check out these apps which support multiple remote temperature sensors, motion sensors, door/window sensors etc - each has a different intended purpose but they are quite flexible.

I made the mandatory contribution and installed my Ecobee thermostats and all of your code, and everything seems to be working correctly. I have only one question - I would like to have my air conditioner (or heater) turn off if a window in the zone is open. I had Nest thermostats before and was using the NST Manager smart app, and it was easy to set it up so that the thermostat would go to “Eco” mode (basically off) if a contact sensor in the zone (after configuring) was open. How do I do the same thing with your system?

Hi, if you’re using My Ecobee device, there are many complimentary smartapps at my github.

One of them is WindowAndDoorOpen! which can do this use case and more…

To know which smartapps are available , you can refer to my thread:

Or the ST community wiki (all ecobee* smartapp) for the documentation:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

Regards.