Calling on OnHub users to share their experience!

I could replace my other R6300 with this in the living room, then my new Portal to replace my primary router, choices, I hate them!

1 Like

I have a neighbor who has one on auto channel and is killing me. I’ve been trying to wave and duck his powerful range for months. Time to put the two at work and see how they fight!!!

Hmmmm…the more I read the more my enthusiasm fades…A lot of this kind of reviews:

At $200, the Almond+ is a bargain for those who want an acceptable Wi-Fi router with a touch-screen interface, but also have a hankering to control their castle. However, it comes up a little short both as a router and as a smart home hub. Its Wi-Fi throughput is just above average, and compared with dedicated hubs like the Quirky Wink or the Staples Connect, its smart home controls are limited. Still, the ability to turn electrical items on and off on the spur of the moment from your phone makes the Almond+ the future of Wi-Fi routers.

1 Like

Almond has always been hard to research because it is both a Wi-Fi router and a home automation hub . As a Wi-Fi router in the past it tended to get very high ratings and that obscured the home automation ratings. As a home automation hub, historically it’s had lots of features, and lots of bugs.

Also note that their IFTTT channel is very limited right now. It’s similar to harmony in that you can use an activity as a “that” but not as a “if”

The only if is something connecting or disconnecting from the Wi-Fi.

So you can’t use a sensor connected to the Almond to trigger something in another IFTTT channel.

2 Likes

That’s what I remembered, but it sounds like they took some corners with their Almond +. Most tech reviews are saying the routing is subpar…:frowning:

1 Like

They are just going after OnHub, that’s clear…

1 Like

I see Phillips hue app now has routines. Anyone tried that yet? Possible for phone presence for Smartthings?

Well, I couldn’t help it…I figured that $120 bucks is well worth paying even for only upgrading my presence sensors. So I have 30 days to test out their IFTTT integration. Their Google App is highly rated and if the router is as good as my neighbors, then I stroke a nice deal! Will update once I get it all set up…

2 Likes

You could always build yourself a homemade jammer…

Or, get several old router that are comparable with DDWRT and set them up as invisible access points. They Will transmit at full power vice the 1/2 full duplex repeaters. That will over power any problems from the neighbors. That’s how I have mine setup.

2 Likes

What if you’re Bobby’s neighbor? That would explain a few things… :scream:

1 Like

Now, I did review their list of devices and was surprised they didn’t have Honeywell t-stat and Kwikset locks. Hear this! I fired an email asking if the two are supported and got a response within 15 minutes that they are, and that if I would like them to help setting up theses devices, to just give them a call. Now that is interesting!

1 Like

Thanks, I responded on the old thread.

1 Like

Seriously, not a good option for someone heavily into smart home technologies.

OnHub is good for someone with typical devices (Roku, computer, phone), and less than probably 20 devices, who really hates working with routers.

Probably not a smart home person.

2 Likes

My OnHub experience isn’t too horrible, I tried various router/modem combo but I’m simply tired of disconnects, dropped connections, no response and constantly having to reboot the setups regardless of what I use, some more so than others. With the current OnHub, so far, no issues. Lack of ports in the back and putting it in a more central location makes the setup a bit convoluted but after rerouting my network, and cleaning everything up, no issues and I’m able to consistent/stable connections.

Biggest issue that I have was with the Blink which doesn’t seem to play well with the OnHub. I simply popped in another extra router I had sitting around since it’s N 2.4 only and it off of that… so far, everything works great.

Oh and yeah, it works great as a presence sensor/

1 Like

So, update on the Almond +. Got it today unpacked it, plugged it in …and back in the box to be returned. It feels cheaply made and on top of everything the touch screen is not working. Support was responsive, but they didn’t believe the screen was not working so…like any tier1 level, after several reboots and resets, 30 minutes later they admitted that screen is not working…Oh well…

@michaelahess when does the Portal ship?

Mine’s in the mail but I was a super early bird Kickstarter, officially I think in maybe the next few weeks?

I should have it early next week and will give an update hopefully by the end of the week.

1 Like

The only concern there, is self managing the channel. I look for your thoughts…

Dude, total bummer.

Yeah well, at least two weeks of planning are not going to waste. I put everything I could on wires, in the effort to turn some of my wireless networks off, so that’s good. Oh and of course when everything was laid out just fine, plugged the new ST hub and surprise, surprise…my newly assigned zigbee channel is smack in the middle of my selected channel 8 wifi… back to drawing now…

1 Like