Building a Device Handler for IKEA 5 button remote?

I have the v2…

Crap

Well actually not Crap…
https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003226203-SmartThings-Hub-Miscellaneous-FAQ

Does the SmartThings Hub work with Zigbee 3.0 devices?

The newest generation of the SmartThings Hub supports Zigbee 3.0. Zigbee 3.0 is backwards compatible, which means that Zigbee 3.0 devices can connect to other versions of the SmartThings Hub (such as SmartThings Wifi, Hub v2 (2015), and Hub v1 (2013)), but these other versions of the Hub do not support QR code onboarding.

So it says the devices are backwards compatible, so it should work with the V2 hub

Is there a reason that anyone can think of that the button only sends logs once? I would assume every time I click the button it would send an event to the parse function. That and no matter which button I press it seems like it sends the same call. Meaning I could press + and it is the same as Power.

I’m assuming I need to register the hub with each button pressed and tell it to wait for an event, but I don’t know how to do that. Again all the information I have is above and just need a nudge in the right direction.

I can’t read your logs, but it’s entirely possible that when you wake up the device, which is what you do when you press any button at all, it does a check in with the hub.

Everything I’ve read about this device says it will not send individual button presses to the hub, it sends the commands directly to the linked end devices.

Anyway, good luck with it. But I would not make any assumptions about how it is going to work because the efforts that other people have already put in, both in this forum and others, indicate that it is not at the present time going to work as a button controller. For example, no one seems to have been able to make that happen with the hue bridge yet, either. You can add it to the zigbee network and then you can use it as a parallel means of control for the bulbs that you link to it, but that’s it.

I would also note the the device, unlike the Tradfri bulbs and pocket socket, Does not work with HomeKit. So there have been people reporting on it in the Hue forums, the HomeKit forums, the Vera forums, the Zipato forums, and others, and no one has been able to get individual button presses from it. If you can, that will be great, but I wouldn’t assume it’s going to be anything easy. :sunglasses:

Thanks for the help so far. I think I’m going to fiddle with it for a couple more days and see what happens. If I make progress then Yay, otherwise I guess I can look in to other options for buttons.

Thanks again for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are lots of options for buttons that are known to work with SmartThings. :sunglasses: See the FAQ:

I have a ST Hub 2, and I am not developer.
Is there anywhere github with solution where IKEA 5 remote button works with Smartthings or not?
I get it connected and is just visible “as a Thing” without any function.

Or this is not even possible to have code for this device?

No, not that I am aware of still. The remote still only talks directly to the bulbs, not the hub for button clicks, so there’s no way we can handle these in SmartThings. I heard they had updated them but I’m still seeing the same behavior.

1 Like

I have connected IKEA Tradfri button (with current latest firmware) with SmartThings Hub v2 and is visible “as a Thing”. But it does not have any function. Did anybody managed that to work?

1 Like

Unfortunately with the way the button currently works I can’t find a way to make it send commands to the Smart Things hub. It will send commands to lights, and that is just the functionality of the device. I think it is up to IKEA to make it function in a different way, or if someone has enough experience out there to put new firmware on it to make it work a different way.

If I ever get mine to work the way I want it to, have the buttons send commands to smartthings I’ll post it on the forums, but as for now I think it just works with IKEA stuff.

1 Like

Since I do not have IKEA gateway, I am unable to check for firmware update. Can you please check and write your latest firmware version of IKEA Tradfri 5 button remote? tx

1 Like

Ok,
there was a recent IKEA gateway update - https://ww8.ikea.com/ikeahomesmart/releasenotes/releasenotes.html

This includes the firmware update to IKEA 5 button remote device to version 1.2.223.

Can somebody try now if the device is sending some data over zwave after pairing and pushing the button?

These are zigbee devices, not zwave.

sorry, my bad, anyhow, did someone try again and see if any communication is happening if buttons are pressed (after successful pairing)?

2 Likes

Hello.
I find a way.
Smart things hub will recognize the remote as a thing, so if you press on the buttons it will give you a status. just use that status on automation.
Create a automation when you press short on main button then change bulb 1 power state. if you do that the next short press will turn of the bulb.
Next automation will be top button : short press set brightness to 50% and long press 100% and so on.
Side buttons can be used to change colors or what do you want. or long presses can be used to control other bulb.
Ps: i use the new app.

hello yes you can just use the new smartthings app , select the remote press info and check for firmware.

The 5 button remote from IKEA should get recognized with a default driver now (as of last month):

I can not do the easy test. If somebody can confirm that IKEA Remote 5 Button has a new update, since I do not see newer then https://ww8.ikea.com/ikeahomesmart/releasenotes/releasenotes.html , version 1.2.223

If somebody can confirm that it has a newever version, which one, and that it works with SmartThings classic app, / which device handler?

Thank you

Hi…I have both of these devices, the 5 button (steering wheel) device is not possible to support at this time.
The device operates using Zigbee group broadcasts only, and while HE could be updated to deal with this type of payload, it’s not a high priority at this time.
The puck device is almost complete, and will probably be in the next release, it is however fidgety and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to reliably get two buttons (cw = 1, ccw = 2) with pushed and released out of it or not.

order pcb

@FreddyRindos, I don’t know that you might wanted to post this on different forum or what, but both devices are supported by SmartThings on v2, v3 and the Wifi Mesh Hubs. (For 6 months at least.)