Ikea Tradfri Wireless control outlet kit and button now working with SmartThings (July 2019)

I think this is a “work in progress” and there are some official DTHs, but they may still be under development. Lots of conflicting reports right now.

That’s my job :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks OP and ST team for official support. All setup and button works nicely with Smart Lighting automation.

Got the Tradfri control outlet kit here in Canada. Followed OP’s steps and paired the outlet first to ST. This part is a little weird. Used a paper clip to press on the reset button on the outlet and set ST to add device. Not sure if long press is needed… nothing happened on the SmartThings classic app. Was going to give up then the outlet magically appeared under “things”. Pairing the 2-button remote was easier. Pressed reset 4 times and the buttons appeared in the “add a thing” page.

To setup automation, it is important to choose the “parent device” and not the “child (specific up/down button)” device. Struggled with this for a while because if child device is chosen, only the bottom button seems to work. If the parent device is chosen, then one can select button 1 or button 2 for specific actions. Button 1 is marked as “0” and button 2 is marked as “1” on the actual remote. I’ve set button 2 to turn on outlet and button 1 to turn off outlet.

Under IDE, the outlet is marked as a “ZigBee Switch” with the following data:

• application: 14
  • endpointId: 01
  • manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
  • model: TRADFRI control outlet

The 2 button remote is marked as a “Ikea Button” with the following data:

• application: 11
  • endpointId: 01
  • manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
  • model: TRADFRI on/off switch
4 Likes

interesting, that would be a private device handler then! Time to dust off my Tradfri 5 button and give it another whirl.

Well I’ll be damned. It works! And works really well in the new app. All 5 buttons are exposed and labeled on the device screen. Each has a press and hold option. Color me impressed. Will get a quick video up showing it off.

3 Likes

For those that want to see it in action

5 Likes

Great result! So for the 5 button remote in the iPhone app it looks like it works 100% correctly.

I wonder if the issue that I and others have found whereby the app crashes when we try to set the actions is down to the Android app, or the fact that I was using the two-button remote.

Thanks for sharing the video.

1 Like

good question. I don’t have the 2 button remote or an android device to test :confused:

1 Like

There happened to be an iPhone in the house (nobody’s perfect) so I just installed SmartThings on it to give it a go. Looks like it works perfectly with the two-button remote.

So it looks like the issue I had is just with the Android app. @ykhehra1 am I correct in thinking that you are using an Android device when you get the app crash?

1 Like

Answering my own questions again - I’ve just seen @ykhehra1 's screenshot in another thread and it is indeed an Android device (and 5 button remote). So it’s the Android app where the problem lies.

2 Likes

@JDRoberts is correct. The device isn’t WWST certified but the initial integration is there and is hopefully fully functional for most people.

@MusicLoverUK I sent you a PM to get some more information about the issue you’re seeing. I just tried and wasn’t able to reproduce the crash on Android.

4 Likes

Any particular reason other Ikea devices are WWST but not the remotes?

Just the process, the DTH comes first and then it goes through certification.

2 Likes

Hi Tom. I’ve PM’d you the full details. Thanks for your help and if you need anything else let me know.

2 Likes

Yes, my phone is Android, since it is samsung phone my smartthings app even got new update few days ago from samsung app store which wasn’t available on google play store then.

One thing i want to mention that i don’t have any ikea tradfri bulb but other brands, i am not sure if on clicking ‘+’ sign it look for tradfri bulb and crash on finding none. i am new to smartthings so not sure if it matter what brand bulb it is as long as its zigbee. My aqara cube and 2x switch works ok with different brand bulbs.

Bulb brand doesn’t matter.

I can get the button to perform on/off and dimmer function, any way to use the button to change color? May be using the button to scroll thru a set of pre-configured color?

I ended up making a Webcore piston to pick a random color. could probably do the same to cycle through specific colors.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I opted for adjusting hue in increments/decrements so I can take advantage of both buttons on each side and also having a more predictable result.

Now only if I can get it to do a continuous change on button hold. I found a button controller that fires continuously with button hold but it looks like it only works as a dimmer.

I’m also seeing the crash in the Android app.