Blink support discontinued!

Why not just chat with Amazon instead? Just as effective :stuck_out_tongue:

Anybody still want to sell their Blink system?!?! I’ll pick up a couple for the future Fire TV/Show integration.

I was going to caution people yesterday not to confuse Amazon’s offer to refund purchases with Blink’s offer to refund purchases… lol.

Was kind of odd to see people getting refunded from Amazon a year back as well.

:joy:

This is great, cause I bought my system directly from Blink. So now if I want a free prepaid label, all I have to do now is chat with Amazon :smiley:

I’m gonna hold onto my systems for now. Let this ride out for a bit and see what happens. I’m not even at home to push all my Blinks into a pile and light them on fire anyway

Ummm… Why do you assume SmartThings is the “allower” in this scenario?

In fact, it’s just as likely that Amazon has graciously “allowed” SmartThings to be on Echo.

Very difficult to tell who has the power. Quite different than YouTube on Show.

I don’t know… so which way is it then? Was it consensual or did one allow the other? And if the latter, who allowed who to “participate” in their ecosystem? You would think both would be on the same page in either case.

Not in the case of Blink though.

Bigger plan at play folks. Whose to say that Amazon doesn’t have a plan for Blink with SmartThings in the future, or maybe they tie this into their own ecosystem. Who knows.

I just loved that everyone 15 minutes after the announcement, jumped off the boat into freezing cold water (packed up their blinks in a box) yelling Fire Fire Fire without even knowing the details behind it.

From a technical standpoint, Amazon has the upper hand. They didn’t develop the Alexa skills that ST (and other HA solutions) rely on to integrate with Alexa. And clearly, Amazon wants to be your HA Hub. And Blink, I mean, Amazon has the power to flip a switch and disable any of those skills with no warning. (Seems like I’ve seen this happen somewhere before…)

Not in the case of Blink? Meaning Blink is the one who ‘severed ties’ with ST (or the 3rd party official but unofficial integration piece)? Yes, that’s true. I was just mentioning Amazon Echo/ST integration as a precedent that has been set already (and not by 3rd party integration). Who knows though, Amazon won’t sell Google Home, Chromecast, etc so no Youtube for Fire… I don’t know what bones there are to pick between ST and Amazon… only time will tell. Maybe Amazon will stick their devs onto the Blink app so as to overhaul/improve it and perhaps have it work with ST… or not.

Oh yeah, and Samsung is releasing a Bixby smart speaker to compete with Alexa…so this will likely get bloody.

Ah, that makes sense then. Presumably this Bixby smart speaker won’t be sold on Amazon either :slight_smile:

I wonder if Amazon will take all my Echos back when they ban the ST Alexa Skill. :thinking:

Didn’t Amazon just agree to sell chromecast so Google wouldn’t pull youtube?

looks to me like Amazon doesn’t want anything to do with Samsung…

The only reason I have 4 Dots is to control SmartThings. Without integration, I’d box them up and stick them in the basement with my big box of X10 devices.

This doesn’t change the fact that Blink cameras no longer work with ST which limits their usefulness. The article above said that Blink will continue to run its own business so I don’t see ST coming back into the picture for awhile. I have no regrets getting a full refund on my Blink cameras and picking up cameras that work with ST. At least for the moment :roll_eyes:

Amazon will start selling the chromecast but no agreement has been reached yet in regards to youtube.

I’m going to guess that ST was one of many finite little details at the tail end of this acquisition being finalized, hence 0 days notice.

On another note, if companies as large as Amazon begin pulling the plug on things that integration with Samsung, that motivates Samsung to do more.

The whole ebb and flow of the world of home automation. Push, pull, rip, rinse, repeat.

True not yet but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

Quoting your link.