Better outdoor motion sensor than Aeotech Multisensor?

Hello,

This device has unfortunately given me false readings (even when I dial down the sensitivity) and has become increasingly tough to pair with my ST Hub. I have had to bring it inside and reset it so many times I just removed it from my Things. Any suggestions on a better made weather resistant motion sensor? It is mounted on an underhang beneath my deck so it is rather protected from the elements but I do leave it outside in the Winter. We live in NJ so it gets very cold here. Thanks.

In my experience the Aeon multi’s were the worst. I have fibaro outside (in the front patio) which survived the dreadful last winter in NJ. I still get unwanted alerts though due to passing neighbors car as well as due to some environmental changes such as passing clouds etc… I thinks iwith proper placement it may be avoided to a degree but don’t think can be totally eliminated. May be someone can suggest some other sensor…

Perhaps the latest generation of the Aeon Multi is better? Not seen much about them from the community.

The latest generation of the multi sensor in the instruction manual says to disable the motion sensor if you want to use it outdoors. It can be used outdoors as a light sensor or temperature sensor but you will get too many false alerts if you try to use motion.

I would have thought that’s the case with most motion sensors in an outdoor environment?

True. See the following:

This may be overkill for your usage, but I have been using a Dakota Alert motion sensor ( http://amzn.to/1LwPutV) for my driveway that works very well, gets great range, and holds up to the weather very well. It does not connect directly to SmartThings, but it does have external relays that I have connected to a MIMOLite ( http://amzn.to/1LwPOcg ) that talks with SmartThings. This does make the setup a bit expensive, but it is very reliable and is the best I’ve found for a long range outdoor sensor.

2 Likes

I agree that the Dakota is excellent for the driveway sensor if a higher cost. Just a really well engineered device.

I just wanted to toss in a different idea. I got the Kuna lantern about a month ago, which combines a porch light, motion sensor, Wi-Fi camera, two way intercom, and a panic button siren, all $199 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Security-Intercom-Textured-Outdoor/dp/B010FWU62E

I’m using this instead of a video doorbell so I can see who comes to the door or if there are packages, and I’m really happy with it. The camera is simple but effective. I can definitely tell who’s there or even the package details.

I really like how the light and the camera work together, the motion sensor can be set at night to turn on the light Which means the camera image is really good.

There’s no direct integration with smartthings, but I don’t really care. It has a nice chime sound which I hear on my smart watch, and then I can check my phone/tablet to see the image.

Relevant to this topic, I wanted to mention that I am very impressed with the motion sensor. Not one false alarm since I put it up. And yet it triggers when it should several times a day.

So if someone is just looking for a motion sensor to capture motion right in front of the door, I think the Kuna is a definite candidate if you’re interested in the other features as well.

More discussion on the device:

2 Likes

There is absolutely no competition at all as how it works and has near ST like fantastic support. I wonder how they are doing it. Absolutely first class. Even the looks gets compliments from all the neighbors but please don’t explain what it does! :wink:

1 Like

Hello, I’m looking to buy an outdoor motion sensor and was looking at the new aeon labs multi gen 5. It looks promising but I’ve heard some bad things about them. The motion sensor will be in a breezeway so it won’t be prone to rain/snow or moving objects (trees and bushes). So I don’t believe I will have any false alarms on the motion. What do you guys recommend?

I’ve had both version and have had bad luck with both. Even in covered/protected areas… Both tons of false motion and erratic way off temps. Right now the new version says 45 degrees and it’s 25 out. The old says it’s 82 out.

1 Like

Sadly, I’ll have to caution you against the aeon labs multi. I’ve had two of the outdoor rated ones and they both failed after a few months of use. One completely died and the other will only operate for few hours before “crashing/locking up.” The only way to get it to work again is to pull the batteries. Sometimes this happens right when the LED is on, so it just stays locked on and drains the batteries to zero.

2 Likes

The problem with many motion sensors is Gusts of variable air will set them off. This is true of all PIR type sensors. You can’t really shelter them that much. All it takes is the sun going behind a cloud, or a cool wind, and that’s it, they’ll register motion.

In fact, the newer generations of the Aeon recommend that they be used outdoors only for light and temperature sensors, and that you disable the motion detection if there used outdoors. So although they are rated for outdoor use as a multisensor, they are not intended for outdoor use as a motion sensor.

There has been much discussion of outdoor motion sensors in the forums. There are some alternative technologies you can try. There’s also a zone detection smart app which uses two if three motion sensors and requires a positive alert from all of them before going on, but even that can be fooled by the storm going through.

So a lot of it is just trial and error. You may be able to find a positioning where it will work.

For further discussion see the following topics:

Hey there JD,
I currently have a ST motion sensor with a light right in front of it. When I trigger the light the motion never trips. So I don’t see how a passing cloud will interfere unless these motion sensors work differently. Also I don’t see how a gust of wind will trip the motion unless it shakes the motion detector or blows leaves or trees in the feild of view, which I don’t have.

My main concern is if the multi does what it claims it does. I will be placing the multi between a rather large breezeway. There shouldn’t be any moving objects except the occasional bird/deer and other rodents (which I’m ok with).

Have you seen the motion trigger from a change in light? Or are you basing it off of what the individual said in the thread you attached? They might be right since the aeon labs multi senses light where the ST motion doesn’t.

It’s just physics. PIR motion sensors ( passive infrared) aren’t really motion detectors–those are accelerometers (which the Multisensors may also have). I stead, what they detect is a change in temperature moving across the sensor. The temperature is intended to catch body heat, but a variation in air temperature can do it as well if it moves across the sensor. Typically a cloud passing over the sun can do it. But it’s because of the breeze you feel, not because of the leaves you see moving.

Keep PIR sensors 10—15 feet away from heating vents, where the sunlight shines in, and radiators. If a motion sensor detects a swift change in heat, even that of a cloud passing quickly over direct sunlight shining into your living room, it could be tripped.

The key is the speed of the change. The reason why a porch light coming on near a motion sensor typically doesn’t trigger the motion sensor is that the air doesn’t change fast enough to trigger the sensor.

Again, standard stuff, read any manufacturer’s instructions on the use of PIR motion sensors.

And here’s the smartapp for zone detection:

As far as the Aeon multi “doing what it says it does,” check their site. One of the things it says it does is not work reliably outdoors for motion detection. :wink:

Outdoor sensor.
Use outdoor intelligence. IP20 rated, you can use MultiSensor 6 outdoors by disabling its motion sensor and usings its 5 other sensors.

I have one placed under the eaves near my porch, I also have it plugged in via usb cable (I ran a wire through the wall of my garage) to give it power. When I had it pointed towards the street, it was too sensitive and would pick up cars driving by 50 feet away, so now it faces the porch. I use it to let me know when someone was approaching my front door where I also have a camera set up. Of course, now it doesn’t pick up motion until about 7 feet away from the front door. But it works. Placement is key and maybe being plugged in helps too. The temperature can be off but that can be adjusted by adding a custom device type with temperature adjustment.

1 Like