[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

These Hampton Bay / King Of Fans controllers work best with a zigbee repeater in the same room. Smart bulbs make poor repeaters. A dedicated zigbee peanut plug corrected all of the issues I was having. In the IDE before the addition of the repeater, I saw transmit failures in the hundreds. Now they are in the single digits.

Well, I unplugged the hub, moved the zigbee socket to the socket on the front wall of the house where one of the fans is. Left it overnight, then plugged the hub back in.

Nope.

Just as an FYI, I installed this over the weekend and had an issue joining it as well until I added an Ikea smart plug to the same room the fan was in. From there I was able to get it to show up right away.
The room itself is my middle bedroom on the second floor and my hub is in my living room directly below this room.

EDIT: Sold, thanks.

I sent you an email.

The new device handler https://github.com/rafaelborja/SmartthingsKingOfFansZigbee Fixed my problems with the fans in the new SmartThings app and Google Assistant!

2 Likes

Is it possible to switch from using the old Classic app compatible DTH to using the DTH compatible with the new app without manually resetting the device? Reason I ask is because I have the switch wired hot with a metallic blank plate covering it. Using a magnetically attached wireless switch to control power. Would like to avoid have to flip the breaker if possible.

You should be able to swap the DTH in the IDE

I got this all setup but i’m having an issue with setting the fan speed with Google assistant. When i ask google it will turn on the light and change to brightness to whatever was specified. I have removed everything and added it back a couple of times but can’t seem to figure out why I can’t set the fan speed to set. Adjusting in the Google Home app also turns the light on the sets to whatever brightness level. Any thoughts?

I’m back again. Even with the new DTH, anytime we have a power outage for more than a few minutes I have to rejoin the thing. It never shows offline in the IDE, but doesn’t respond.

Really annoying because I’m using buttons and smartlighting apps and have to re-do that every time.

Think I’m giving up. I’ve moved that Zigbee socket/repeater all over, unplugging my hub for an hour each time, and still neither fan is being seen.

1 Like

If the fan drops off your mesh you do not have to remove it from Smartthings. Just reset the fan and rejoin it. This is a zigbee device. It will still have the same zigbee ID and your rules will work without redoing them.

I actually did it this way just this morning, then I ended up with a duplicate child device with the same name.

Unless I did something wrong.

I reset it, let it scan for new devices then backed out of the scan.

I’m having the same problem as Bossman302. I have been using the classic app for a year with only minor issues. Switched to new DTH install went smooth, but I am unable to change fan speed with Google home or Alexa. They dim the light instead of adjusting speed. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Glad I’m not the only one who is having this issue. Had a feeling this was a problem within the code. Spent the last little bit trying to figure it out and looks like I found the issue. Within the code search for useDimmerAsFanControl and change each entry to DimmerAsFanControl. Save and publish. Once I did that it worked. Hopefully it works for you too.

Edit-I forgot to test Google Assistant. Turns out this only fixed the issue within the SmartThings app. The brightness slider in GA now just doesn’t work. It’s a step in the right direction.

To those that have this working. Could you post the code your are using? Would be curious to see if there is any difference.

That’s the correct way. Must be something off with Smartthings. As for why it’s dropping, do you have a repeater in the room with the fan? If not, you need one. If you do, try moving it to another wall.

Okay. I’ll just stick with it and try again that way next time.

The only time it really drops is when the power goes out for more than just a few minutes.

Mine would do that too, on occasion, but would usually come back with just a power cycle of the circuit breaker. The radios in these things are just awful sometimes.

Hopefully, your power will stay up.

Thought I was making progress on this but doesn’t look like any of the changes i made have made any difference. Went as far as resetting my hub back to factory defaults and still can’t get this working. The only thing I can see is in the Live logging is that it still shows that useDimmerAsFanControl is still set to false even though I changed it. Would be curious to know what this says for others. Has anybody had any success with getting this working with Google Assistant?

I reverted to this line of code in preferences and the dimmer works for the fan now.

input “dimmerAsFanControl”, “number”, title: “Use dimmer to control fan? (type 1 to yes, empty to no)”, displayDuringSetup: true

2 Likes