[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Thank you so much Sethrow80!! This now working both in SmartThings and Google Assistant.

I tried changing the following line:

input “dimmerAsFanControl”, “enum”, title: “Use dimmer to control fan?”, options: [“1”:“Yes”, “0”:“No”], displayDuringSetup: true, default: “0”

to:
input “dimmerAsFanControl”, “number”, title: “Use dimmer to control fan? (type 1 to yes, empty to no)”, displayDuringSetup: true

That gave me an error when i tried to save. Ended up using the original code but changed “enum” to “number”

input “dimmerAsFanControl”, “number”, title: “Use dimmer to control fan?”, options: [“1”:“Yes”, “0”:“No”], displayDuringSetup: true, default: “0”

for those having connectivity issue trust us when we say get a repeater in the same room as the fan. Yes it make absolutely no sense the range can’t travel 10ft outside of a room. But a repeater in the same room does solve the connectivity issues. I’ve run mine for about a month now and it has worked flawlessly. Where before I was having constant connectivity issues with 1 out of 3 fans.

1 Like

+1
I have a an Ikea smart plug in every room (3 total) where I installed this smart module in a ceiling fan and had not had an issue. Previously I couldn’t get the first one I installed to connect and tried moving a smart plug to the room and I was able to discover it right away.

Heh, I tried the repeater in the same room. I have two rooms with a fan in each, rooms are next to each other. Tried a repeater in both rooms. Above both rooms. At the far end of both rooms. At the near end of both rooms. Below both rooms.

Nope.

Thank you so much Sethow80! This change worked for me too, though I use Alexa to control the fan. I noted that the new SmartThings app changed from the Yes/No selection to a line which I had to manually enter a 1, but I can trade off some clean design for function.

I, too, am having a lot of problems with the new app as I do not see any of the screens shown in your examples. Every icon has the cloud with the line through it though the IDE shows the device is online. It does not look like the conversion of the old app built the child aspects in the new app. Each child “switch” is a different element in the room and none of them work.

I am up to date on the Device Handlers.

I’m having the same problem here as well. I swapped the old device handlers for the new ones. Still works in the Classic app with a much simpler interface, but the new app shows the controls for these devices (both fan and light) with line going through a cloud.

I believe this is the last thing preventing me from switching to the new app full-time, but I won’t lose sleep over it for now. :joy:

EDIT: Okay, I sort of figured it out.

• In the IDE, pull up the fan device details.
  • Delete any of the child devices which are using the old “KOF” fan speed device handler.
    • These are typically named as “[fan name] low”, “med-hi”, etc.
  • You’ll know that you successfully removed them all when you’re able to delete the old device handler itself.

You should should only have two device handlers remaining:

• rafaelborja : King of Fans Zigbee Fan - Light Child Device
  • rafaelborja : King of Fans Zigbee Fan Controller

I can now see and control them in the new app. Only problem now is that the fan is showing as an on/off light bulb. I may try to re-pair the fan later and see if that helps.

2 Likes

Removed the child devices manually but, for some reason, it will not re-add them. I have used the “Edit Preferences” in the IDE and answering “Yes” instead of “true” makes them repopulate in there. I have also tried using the app to remove them in the settings. It does not recreate them in the app so I have to go to the IDE to answer “Yes” to recreate them.

I see the child devices on the old app. I do not see them on the new app.

Ok, ok, there’s new stuff - I’ll keep trying.

So I have the previous dcoffing version of all this. How do I properly change over to this new rafaelborja version?

For Device Handlers I have dcoffing’s 3 groovys: Controller, controller for fan speed child device, and controller for light child device.

1 Like

Could I wait? Of course not. I deleted all three of dcoffing’s device handlers.

I created both of rafaelborja’s device handlers.

I edited both fans to his handler, and both fan lights to his child handler (yeah, that just sounds wrong!)

Is there anything else I need to do? Remove both fans from the hub and start over? Kill power and redo for 5 seconds? Remove power from my entire neighborhood and get everyone to say a little prayer (small town, 800 people, wouldn’t take long).

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

That was a huge light bulb!

I changed the device handlers in the IDE, then published them.

Then, I removed all child nodes from all of my fans.

Then, I re-added them. It took a while.

I do not think the new app is as “snappy” as the old app. Plus, I am really having a deal on the Zigbee side of things that I have a case open with SmartThings over. Not to get off track but I am really having a problem with Samsung dimmers, on/off outlets and multi-sensors, all the older ones.

One thing I do not see on the new app is the Cool Breeze function or reverse. The Cool Breeze function stopped after about 5 minutes but I was hopeful it would get fixed some day.

This gets me a lot closer to ditching the old app in favor of the new.

1 Like

Just to be clear, according to rafaelborja’s readme, there should be only one child device for each fan, which is the light controller. The fan’s controls are now part of the parent device itself.

But for some reason, I can’t seem to access the fan controls from the new app. It just displays as a light bulb. I can control the fan speed in the Classic app just fine, and I don’t see any red flags in the IDE either… This one is kind of a head-scratcher.

EDIT: I don’t know what it is, but I always seem to encounter the solution immediately after I post! If your fan appears as a light bulb, it might just need a little kick and refresh:

• In the IDE, change the device type to something that doesn’t add tiles to your device’s details in the new app. valueDeviceTile works.
  • In the new app, open your device. It should crap out and show a cloud with a line trough it.
  • In the IDE, change the device type back to King of Fans Zigbee Fan Controller.
  • Kill and restart the new app. Your fan should appear like a fan. If it doesn’t, try turning it on/off, etc.
2 Likes

After inputting both new DH from rafaelborja I can not control either the fan nor the light with the new app. The app keeps populating “A network or server error occurred. Try again later.” when attempting to control any of the functions. I have deleted the device from the hub, deleted all DHs, re-paired the device, installed new DHs and the controls are still inoperable. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Following - I’m using the old kof files & this new app scares me. I remember few years back having such a hard time with the kof setup… it was a very odd setup process. I’m almost scared to update to this new kof version.

Just realized the dcoff setup doesn’t allow me to turn fan light off in the new app… so I’ll go ahead & try to update to this newer dht… fingers crossed

The screen shot shows that the device type is still in use by devices (red box). Remove the child device from any smart apps, automatons, and routines and try again.

1 Like

Did you have to remove fan from hub & repair? Or did you just update existing code & republish??

to help anyone else out that just landed here… to avoid ALL issues, just delete the fan completely from your hub in IDE, then DELETE all 3 files from the original dcoff setup in Device handers, THEN copy/paste to create the new ones from the Rafael… Now repair your fan… go back into IDE and set the thing w/ the new Fan controller, and DONE! everything will work perfectly.

2 Likes

@rafaelborja I removed the old DH files and created new DH files based on the new DH files. Great work. This puts me one step closer to migrating from the old ST app to the new app.

I do have a couple of issues with how the new DH works.

With any suggestions, please keep in mind that we are a handicapped household, and the need for voice command is more of a necessity than a convenience. I have 5 of these fans placed throughout the house.

• The interaction of Alexa with the newly created device in ST is not quite right.
    After running device discovery from Alexa I have two new devices. One is called Office Fan, and the other is called Office Fan Light. When I tell Alexa, “Alexa, turn on the office fan” … the light to the fan comes on and the fan does not turn on (the same thing happens with the off command … the light is controlled, not the fan.)
    I then changed the name of the light device in Alexa from Office Fan Light to Office Ceiling Light to avoid any device naming confusion with Alexa. This did not help.
    Note, using these two names in the old ST app with the old DH installed correctly controlled the fan and the light independently of each other. Is this a shortcoming in the DH? Is this something easily fixed in Alexa devices?

• The dimmer slider for the light in ST will not go to zero. It will only go as low as 20%. When I slide it below 20%, I get a error, “A network or server error occurred. Try again later.” When I tap OK, the slider bar returns to 20%. FYI, the 20% brightness appears to be a correct brightness for the light at this point, but I can’t turn the light off without turning off both the light and the fan.

I appreciate any and all constructive thoughts and suggestions.

@DOWNSOUTH407, I had the same red banner issue when attempting to remove the old DH files even after removing the devices from ST. I found that WebCore still had them listed as available devices. So, I uninstalled WebCore, and this allowed me to remove the DH files successfully.