I have been using SmartThings since early 2017 and I have really enjoyed the experience. I am a professional developer and IoT hobbyist. I have written a couple Device Handlers to integrate a few random devices into my home automation setup. Nothing super crazy. But it’s been a while (mainly due to everything just working) and I’m just now jumping back into the eco system.
My dog ate my home audio receiver remote and a new one is $$$, so I thought, “Why don’t I add my AVR into my SmartThings app?!” That’s when I logged in and saw that things are changing. I’ve been reading as many announcements as I can, I logged into the new developer portal and created a new Work Space, and I’m still a little confused on a few areas. I have a few questions that I hope are simple enough to answer:
- Is the Groovy IDE going away, and if so…
- Is it worth developing new Device Type Handlers and Apps in the Groovy IDE>
- Is local execution coming to ST apps? I read something about “Local Execution” and I haven’t found if that applies to only Z-Wave/Zigbee functions, or if it will extend to custom apps
- The new Work Spaces concept looks more SaaS based than IDE based, am I still going to be able to write code in the new Work Spaces? If so, where does one put it? Is there GitHub integration?
- What are DTH and custom SmartApps called in the new Work Spaces? Is there a way to handle custom IoT devices from the new Work Spaces portal?
If I have any more questions as I go about, I’ll come back and add them here.
Thanks for you help/patience!