Battery powered status Led for SHM?

Hi,

Anyone knows of a Battery-powered status LED that integrates with Smartthings?

I’d like to place a LED on my front door so I can easily tell the Alarm status before I open the door, let’s say green LED = alarm disconnected yellow LED = alarm in night mode red LED = alarm in away mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it has to be battery powered, then there are only a couple of options, And most them only do on and off, so only two states.

1. Make your own device

Here’s a do it yourself project that one community member created. I think it matches what you are looking for, but you have to physically disassemble a smart lightbulb and put together a device, so not everyone will be interested in that kind of project.

2. Use a battery operated keypad that has a tiny status light you can turn on and off

Alternatively, If you want something where you won’t have to modify the hardware at all, some of the keypads that work with smartthings have an indicator light that you can turn on or off.

I’m not sure what current keypads are available, a lot of models have come on and off the market.

@rboy might know.

3. Ring Step Light

Another option You could consider is the ring smart lighting step light. It doesn’t have any direct integration, but it does work with Amazon echo, which means you can also trigger it from SmartThings.

You would have to put tape over its own motion sensor so motion sensing didn’t turn it on.

And you would also need to buy their bridge in order to control it.

I would think this option would only make sense if you were going to use other ring lighting products as well, but it is something to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Ring-Smart-Lighting-Steplight/dp/B07KXQ85NW/

By the way, if there is a window near your front door and a light switch you can see through that window, Homeseer makes a zwave lightswitch that has tiny built-in indicator LEDs where are you can set them to 6 or 7 different colors. They are very popular for notifications, but the problem is will you be able to see it while you are still outside the house.

I think that’s one of the most popular options right now, but again, you have to be able to see it. So it may not work for your particular use case.

Another similar option is a plug in, the homeseer nightlight, which can be set to the same seven colors. But again, you’d have to be able to see it.

2 Likes

Another option might be to position a lamp with an RGB bulb near a window where it’s visible from outside (or an outdoor fixture if you really want to broadcast your alarm status). It would be much easier to find a good location than with a switch or nightlight, but the colors might be annoying depending what else is happening in the same room and what conditions you set up to have it turned on or off. You could pick more subtle color choices (for instance warm white / cool white / off) so it’s less obvious from a distance.

2 Likes

To supplement what JD said about the keypad, if you have access to RBoy Apps you can use any of the keypads supported by this DTH

Then with the SmartApp LUM (or WebCoRE), you can synchronize the keypad with Classic SHM.

Now you’ll be able to see the SHM status on your keypad

2 Likes

Thank you, I will go with the Multisensor HomeSeer

It’s a very popular device for notifications. But you do understand that it is not battery-operated, right? You have to plug it in.

1 Like

I do, thank you, I’ll have to place it on not an ideal position or just use a battery powered outlet like this
https://www.ebay.com/p/Belkin-Portable-Charger-USB-Port-3000mAh-Battery-Pack-2-AC-Outlet-Surge-Protect/2254430470?iid=262925547086&chn=ps&_ul=MX&dispctrl=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl99cfH9P2fv_4JxCbOC_oCqgkStTW9Z1mnO1quzalJ8ekbmEnmPd6XkaAuLWEALw_wcB

1 Like