Automating morning/night routines?

Iā€™m trying to automate my Good Morning and Goodnight routines so that they arm/disarm SHM automatically (and adjust the thermostat), but Iā€™m not sure the best way to trigger these to reduce false positives.

Just curious what you do, if anything, to automate these. Primarily motion (and lack of motion)? Time-based? Manual?

Is there a way to trigger based on light status (e.g., Goodnight runs if all of the lights have been turned off for >15 minutes)? Probably need something more configurable like RuleMachine?

I prefer to use my goodnight automation as the back up.

Meaning - the plan is to always manual press the good night routine when I actually go to bed. But I also have an automated routine that will arm based on time, just on the off chance I would forget.

I do the opposite for good morning. The automatic routine happens based on time slightly before I actually get up. (or at least it does when ST isnā€™t broken). Like most people, I look at my phone right when I get up and I can tell if the routine ran. If it didnā€™t, then I do it manually. If I have to get up super early one day, then I just do it manually.

I also have lighting that changes for good night and good morning so I have a visual indicator.

1 Like

For good night, I either manually change it or I have a rule that when I turn off my bedroom lights after a specific time, my house runs the routine. In the morning , I manually run it as I donā€™t require much to turn on (I do not use SHM)

1 Like

Different things will work for different households. :sunglasses: The following thread was created based on questions about using motion sensor triggered lights in the bedroom, but a lot of the same ideas apply if you want to use motion sensors to change mode.

At our house, there is a motion sensor on the side of the nightstand pointing towards the bed so it canā€™t get accidentally triggered by anything. I trigger with an intentional hand wave as I am getting out of bed. So thatā€™s one option.

The following thread covers ideas on automating good morning. Youā€™ll see a lot of variation because it just depends on each particular householdā€™s routine.

If and when smartthings ever releases the smart sleep sensor, which is a device that goes under the mattress and tracks sleep, that would be a good way unless youā€™re a household where people take naps during the day.

I use the following:

Good morning - Runs at a fixed time. We have a 1.5 year old that consistently wakes up around 7 am every day and I always wake up during the week at the same time for work, so any time before those two events works for us.

Good night - I have a virtual switch that triggers this via rule machine. We tell Alexa to turn the switch on as we are heading to bed.

I also have a contact sensor on our bedroom door that disarms and re-arms SHM (when itā€™s working) when ST is in night mode in case i need to do downstairs to let the dog out, get a bottle for our 1 month old, etc.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I see each personā€™s case is different. I think I found what works for me.

I now use Circadian Daylight (modified the code for less orange in the morning) and Gentle Wake Up for a 30 min. simulated sunrise in my bedroom. Once Gentle Wake Up is complete, I then have it trigger the Good Morning routine. Seems to work for the most part, except when my husband gets up earlier than me and starts opening doors.