Automatically Perform Action (Wifi)?

Hello Everyone,
I currently have a setup where doors will lock if i am outside of a given radius of my home and if i come inside of that that radius a specific door will unlock. I have had a number of issues over the past year when I am at home that my system sees my phone as outside the radius and will then lock the doors, but seconds later it will unlock the front door. This has happened at night a few times which leaves the front door unlocked all night.

I was curious if there is a way to configure my app to perform an action when my phone is connected to wifi rather than a geo location. Has anyone set up their phone app with this by chance? If so, how were you able to do that?

If your on android you would need to look into Tasker and Sharptools. Possibly with a mix of Core.

I have Tasker and Sharptools set a virtual presence bit when I’m connected to my Wi-Fi.

I’m working and mobile right now so hard to offer more details. I believe there is an example on @joshua_lyon site to guide you. Let me know if you need more help. Hopefully I can get on my PC tonight or others will jump in to help.

1 Like

Be aware you’ll have to make sure your phone doesn’t turn off your WiFi when it goes to sleep.
Even then it could disconnect for odd reasons. Also be aware there will be a delay while.your phone connects and all the triggers execute.

If your on Apple you can’t use this method. It wouldn’t matter anyway. Iphones disconnect from WiFi when the go idle.

Some people have done it, it depends in part on which router you have. See the following thread (this is a clickable link)

Here is another possible thread to look at.

2 Likes

if you are not in a hurry and have some cash to buy another smart lock, i would suggest waiting for the august ZWAVE smartlock.

I believe you are referring to this article which shows how to use WiFi as a trigger with Tasker + SharpTools:

The article includes links to a number of posts on the SmartThings community as well (including the post by @destructure00). You could also add some logic that prompts you during certain hours or certain conditions:

3 Likes