Automated Pool Equipment?

Bump again- Any update on any success with Jandy iAqualink? I’d love ST to turn off pool lights when I forget or on when spa reaches 100%.

Came back to this thread since I really want to be able to automate my pool but so hard to find information.

But then I ran across this:
http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-hayward-goldline.html

And they have a published interface:
http://www.autelis.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pool_Control_(PI)_HTTP_Command_Reference

Unfortunately, looks like it doesn’t support my Hayward controller (I think I have the E-Command or something). But this gives me hope that if I were to upgrade my controller I could actually get this working.

Interested in this thread as I’ll need to make a decision on pool control later this year.

@StrykerSKS Thanks for sharing links to Autelis equipment, that’s looks very interesting - they have products for Jandy, Haywards and clearly state that they’ve designed their control interface for mobile app, web page or smart home control.

Link to Jandy Zodiac controller:
http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac.html

Demo web app: http://www.autelis.com/demos/pc100jz/equipment.htm

I’m hoping that one of the many clever ST devs here have a crack at building a device handler/smartapp to enable this control inside ST.

Thanks.

I also have the Jandy iAqualink controller for my pool, spa, lights, etc. Would LOVE some ST integration! Following…

One thing to consider is that most pool pumps / chlorinators / solar heating pumps can operate well enough with a simple on/off automation. They are typically designed to go back to the last setting, so that you can simply use ST to turn the equipment on/off and get a 90% solution. Naturally this won’t allow you to change the flow rate of the pump, but for me, leaving it on “eco” will be suitable. Something to consider.

1 Like

That might cover needs for some people, but for me I really want to see things like if the pool heater is on or not. I don’t want to waste gas heating the pool if I’m not planning to use it that night. And conversely I want to be able to set the heater to turn on remotely if I decide I want to get in the pool and/or hot tub that night.

Autelis looks interesting…but also duplicates Jandy Zodiac’s own Wi-Fi enabled pool control system, iAqualink, which has it’s own mobile/web app. Has anyone looked into integration with iAqualink? I upgraded my pool to iAqualink two years ago due to installing a variable speed pump (older aqualink RS didn’t support it)

https://www.iaqualink.com/en/#/overview

Recently my pool timer stopped functioning… You know the type big rotating metal dial inside a box with flip pins to set the time. While I had to appear disappointed at the device failure, I though this was my opportunity to extend my HA to include the pool pump , which also controls some water features on my pool. This was going to be a cool project.

I started where most projects start, reading the boards, including this thread. I started looking at some of the expensive controllers suggested above and thought there is no way I’m getting “wife approval” for yet another piece of expensive/ complicated technology that only I can use. I saw a new round metal timer in my future. :frowning:

As someone suggested, most could get away with basic on/off functionality. I definitely fit that profile… I need to turn the pump on and off on a schedule, and turn is on when we are entertaining outside. I need this whole thing to be “Alexa friendly” . After some searching I needed a 240v external wave switch. There where a few listed most intermatic. (A name I could live with). After some searching I found an intermatic Ca3750 for $60. This device has been discontinued but gets very high ratings for reliability… While its basic, I can control my pool lights, pump and water features for the same price as a cheap timer

2 Likes

I just did this yesterday. :slight_smile: I had a T103, and it looked like replacing the timer motor was about the same price as replacing the whole thing. I pulled out the T103 module, and slid the CA3750 module into the same old box. Since I use it at 240v DPST the Z-wave switch driver works great. I use one of those nifty Aeotec DSC11-ZWUS Z-Wave Smart Strip to run other things like the UV, Pump House Lighting, etc. And I’m getting ready to install just a simple GE Zwave light switch for the Pool Light ( on the 120v side of the 120v to 12v transformer)

I did have to take my smartthings hub out to the pool house to get the CA3750 to pair - its weak at that. Some people use a long ethernet wire, I used a dd-wrt on old linksys router bridge. Once it’s paired everything worked great and I took the hub back in the house. (The Aeotec and other Plug in modules seem to repeat the signal fine.) Important for me, since I left the CA3750 in the old T103 metal box and didn’t use the new plastic box that was bigger. My old box was inset in some peg board and I would have had to cut a bigger hole.

The Pump started perfectly at sunrise…I woke up, and went out to watch it.

Good luck with your project!
–Keith

1 Like

I’m not gonna lie, coolest thing ever! “Alexa, turn on the fountain”. And the water feature on the pool comes to life… I’ve already had the pool light connected… I’m thinking this was one of my favorite HA projects…

Keith, just a heads up, be careful with the pool light. I burned mine out last year after it was on for an extended period under the pool cover during the winter.

1 Like

A quick update here - I got my hands on a Pentair i-link module and am now working away to integrate this with Smarthings via the Thing Shield. There are limited features available in the i-link but it looks like this will give me access to pump control, heater control, heater set point, current pool and air temp, and control of the relays for aux circuits. More to come as I make progress.

1 Like

Pentair just linked up with amazon echo. You need the pentair automation equipment. Works great. I am able to turn the pool on /off, run any additional equipment such as waterfalls etc. Alexa will also tell you the temperature of your pool. Not sure if any other pool manufacturer has this. I am a pool owner and not affiliated with pentair in any way shape or form. Just saw your note and thought I would reply with what I use.

1 Like

It now links with amazon echo

@roberta559
What Pentair system do you have? I have a Easy Touch system now and very curious to see how I could integrate this into my setup.

thanks

I found the skill here - http://www.alexaskillstore.com/smart-home/pentair-screenlogic/39096

2 Likes

I have the easy touch with 8 relays. If you have the amazon echo, go to the amazon alexa app and search in skills for the pentair app. Enable it and of course you have to input the pentair code of your screen logic. It has two problems currently, it does not tell me my correct salt level and solar or heater. but it Alexa turns the pool on/off it does my waterfall separate on/of. Tells me the temperature of the pool. For the first iteration I think it is great. There are always be problems but to have what we have now compared to nothing. I will gladly take it.

Thats it just enable it put your pentair code in and your set.

Dave here’s the link. http://www.alexaskillstore.com/smart-home/pentair-screenlogic/39096

suprdave04 Dave
September 12
@roberta559
What Pentair system do you have? I have a Easy Touch system now and very curious to see how I could integrate this into my setup.

thanks

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

roberta559 bob
September 12
Pentair just linked up with amazon echo. You need the pentair automation equipment. Works great. I am able to turn the pool on /off, run any additional equipment such as waterfalls etc. Alexa will also tell you the temperature of your pool. Not sure if any other pool manufacturer has this. I am a po…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

This looks to be working with my Pentair system with Protocol Adapter. The bummer is that I still do not see that Pentair has exposed any of the APIs that make this work which means trying to connect to it via Smartthings will still be a challenge. Perhaps that is forthcoming with https://pentairpoolchat.com/ though so far that looks like it is specifically targeting Echo as opposed to being an open API.

1 Like

I agree but what is the advantage of using smartthings hub as opposed to alexa voice? I just purchased a smartthings hub and I am asking myself why did I buy this. I can’t do anymore than I was doing prior to purchasing it. Unless there are devices that are not compatible with alexa and needs a hub to operate. I wanted to get some cameras and some color strip lighting for under my cabinets and door sensors. I have not made up my mind what to buy that really works well with alexa. My goal is to eventually run the whole house from voice. So I thought by buying the smartthings hub ( which has the most devices and most protocols, zigbee, zwave, etc and very compatible with alexa that it was the way to go. Now Sonos which I have in my house will be able to be voice controlled early next year. If you have any suggestions regarding what you have vs what you thing is good, I appreciate it if you would give me your opinion. Between me and you I don’t even know what an API is. Thanks Dave.