Automate external event logging and charting?

Is there a good way to automatically export event information? My minimal use case is to more elegantly log temp/humid from a handful of sensors throughout my house so I can examine all the data in one place from a computer (rather than individual device charts through the ST app), but I would love to extend this to a wide variety of use cases.

Again, thinking minimally: I want to get event data automatically and persistently exported from certain sensors (timestamp, sensor id, temp, humidity)… maybe that could go to IFTTT? If so, then I can get it into a Google Sheet.

Best case I could flow info directly into RRDtool, Cacti, or similar without requiring a middleman in the cloud!

In a perfect world, ST would allow event-driven logging either directly from each device or from the hub, which allows for a variety of optimization (e.g. just let sleepy battery items log when they check in naturally; don’t poll them forcing extra juice to get used). With that said, I’d be happy to use a local server to poll the system on a regular basis if I have to.

Thoughts?

People have done this a number of different ways over the years, but everything is going to change once we get to the new platform, so… I think it depends on your definition of “good way.“ :thinking:

You’ve probably already seen this, but this is the last round up I know of describing some of the different options. Some of these will be out of date, now, though and of course IFTTT is no longer free which changes things. But it might be worth a look anyway. (The topic title is a clickable link)

@joshua_lyon or @jody.albritton might have some ideas as well.

1 Like

I do this using a combination of ‘Simple event logger’ and ‘Google Sheet logger’ which logs data into Google sheets, I then visualise and analyse it using Google Data Studio. Here’s the result:

Simple event logger: [RELEASE] Simple Event Logger

Google sheet logger: Log events to Google Sheets [see post /36719/154 for current Github repo and v1.1]

4 Likes

lol, I knew you’d have the answer, thanks @JDRoberts

Somehow I didn’t find that thread when I was searching around just now. I’ll go check it out.

Follow up question… “once ew get to the new platform”? Didn’t ST just do a new platform over the last 2 years or so in coordination with the move from “Classic” to “New” app? I don’t really follow the news here much, did I miss something?

1 Like

We’re only partway into that project. We are currently in phase 1 of three. Sometime this year the IDE and the groovy cloud are going away. some of the IDE functions will probably continue in some other form, but code authors will now have to not just write their own custom smart apps, but host them as well.

There have been several official announcements about this.

We don’t yet know all the details of what’s coming, which does complicate things, but there is a new developer section of the forum where you can ask questions and find more resources.