Australia - Tired of waiting

The wife loves her RF 433mhz plugs and so I was thinking of getting one of the broadlinks to integrate with ST.
But like you said the Xiaomi plugs were so cheap the other day that I would most likely go down that path.
Just trying to work out how to replicate her setup with lamps so it’s still as easy as how it is now, which is 1 physical button can turn on every lamp on in the house.
The google homes are great, hope they bring out a similar device to the dots soon.
Thanks for your reply Aarick :wink:

You can get buttons.
Personally I haven’t got any but I’m sure Fibaro do one.
Search the forum and I’m sure you will find information regarding these.
There is also a cube that you turn round and place to do various things.
Once you have one you can set up a CoRE piston to turn on all your lights when it is pressed.

1 Like

Thanks Bob,
That cube looks awesome.
I only have 1 coloured bulb. I really didn’t think about having the cube button to trigger different coloured lights. Think I might have to order one of the Xiaomi ones to play around with.
Not sure if it’s just me but Im not sure if I would use all the coloured bulbs throughout the house?
Do you use them and what kind of things do you trigger with them?
Cheers

Personally I don’t have any physical buttons or a cube.
Just thought I’d mention it in case you were unaware.

Thanks mate

Looks great but it’s a zwave device :disappointed::disappointed:
Can’t use it here…

I got the Xiaomi smart button

I set it up as a switch toggle. Click once to toggle the the light on and off. Wireless so you can stick it anywhere and it runs zigbee. You can also set up long press option for a 2nd task. I have one controlling my study light and long press for my back door and backyard Lights. And got the wife one in the bathroom to turn the dehumidifier on and off. Waiting on my humidity sensor to arrive so that I can automate it.

just ordered 3 of those and going to give this one a shot too

Thanks mate,

1 Like

Nice…I’ve one of those on the way too.

figured out…

Glad it’s all sorted. Had the same issue and was driving me crazy. The strange thing for me was some will just add without issue as an unknown thing and I just need to change the device type and others will not show up at all until I go through the catchall method. Hope it’s working well for you…

1 Like

sounds like the exact same thing I went through haha
all working fine now :smiley:

Can some one please guide the steps to turn off ZWAVE on the HUB. Will it not broadcast at the US frequency, if i don’t use any zwave devices?
Also any guide out there to use HomeAssitant or OpenHab to control any AU Zwave devices through the ST app?

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Really hope they would get ST to Australia!

I had issues disabling Z-Wave yesterday as it was not showing up in my “My Hubs” section of the IDE. Found a quick workaround, so thought I would share here.

To disable Z-Wave, you will need to go into the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) via a browser.

If you ordered the SmartThings Hub from a US supplier the IDE can be accessed from here https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ (From a UK supplier its https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com).

Steps to disable Z-Wave:

1. Log into the IDE using your SmartThings account (Same as your phone app).
  2. Go to My Hubs (if you see your Hub click it and go to Step 7, otherwise go to Step 3.
  3. Go to My Locations
  4. You should see your House/Location name. Click it.
  5. You will need to sign in again.
  6. You should see your Hub name. Click it.
  7. Click View Utilities.
  8. Under Z-Wave Utilities, click Disable Z-Wave Module.
  9. Go back to My Hubs, and you should see that Z-Wave is now disabled.
1 Like

So after reading this thread and many others in SmartThings and Whirlpool forums, I pulled the trigger and bought the SmartThings hub from Amazon. Luckily my wife was in Vegas for a conference last week, so I took advantage and got it posted to her hotel. She came back yesterday and I have been setting up my smart home over the last two days.

Below is just what I have and am planning. Shout out to aarick from the SmartThings Forums, where I basically copied most of their set-up. I have just used this post to do a brain dump and record of what I am planning for my own benefit.

This is what I have so far:

• SmartThings Hub (2nd Gen)
  • 3 x SmartThings Arrival Sensor
  • 2 x SmartThings Water Leak Sensor
  • 1 x SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor
  • 1 x SmartThings Motion Sensor
  • 3x Iris Conact Sensors (2nd Gen)
  • 1 x WeMo Insight Switch
  • 1 x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Short Term Wish List:

• Hue Bulbs (for lamps)
  • Integrate SmartThinks with HomeKit (Pi)
  • More Smart Switches (WeMo or Xiaomi)
  • Smart In Wall Switches for Lighting (don’t want to use wifi blubs, I have multiple G10s in all rooms) (Zigbee in wall relay module? Au Z-Wave in wall relay module to Pi to SmartThings?)
  • Physical smart buttons (Xiaomi?)
  • CentraLite Keypad

Medium Term Wish List:

• Integrate my gate to SmartThings (WeMo maker? Au Zwave to Pi to SmartThings?)
  • Integrate my doorbell/intercom located outside my gate to SmartThings (no idea how…)

Long Term Wish List:

• More Motion Sensor (SmartThings or Xiaomi)
  • Broadlink RM Pro (For split system air con)
  • Security Camera (Blink or Netgear Arlo Pro)
  • Security Alarm (no research done yet)
  • Plantlink KS (for in house pot plants)
  • Smart Door Lock (no research done yet)
  • Harmony Hub
  • Google Home / Echo (For voice integration, might wait till Amazon open in Australia)
  • New Smart TV
  • Chromecast
  • Apple TV 5th Gen (2017 release?)

I have limited coding experience but will now start teaching myself what I need to do some of the above. Initially I plan to install HomeKit integration for SmartThings via homebridge on the Pi.

Next project will be to get all my lighting integrated into SmartThings. Since we can’t use Au Z-Wave directly with SmartThings, we are very limited on how we can integrate lighting. I really do not want to go the wifi lighting route, as I have rail lighting in all rooms that use G10 bulbs. I am also concerned about standby power consumption over a long period with wifi lighting.

I could go with the WeMo Light Switches which is wifi, but it is only single gang. My main living room has a 5 gang switch (3 for lighting, 2 for fans), of which the lighting is also on separate 3-way switch circuits.

Unfortunately there is not any great zigbee in wall relay module that I can find. So I’m thinking either waiting till SmartThings release a Australian version of the hub, or use a MQTT Bridge / Pi / Au Z-Wave in wall relay module work around (Which seems like a lot of work).

Any suggestions in how I can integrate lighting?

I have been using ST US hub for a month now and am enjoying all it has to offer. I am now starting to look into lighting control but I dont want to head down the Wemo/Hue path, I want to explore options for in-wall light relays and dimmers.

I understand my option is either US frequency Z-Wave relays/dimmers or to look ZigBee in-wall relay/dimmers, can anyone suggest and ZigBee in-wall relays/dimmers that would work with ST.

Also would it be possible to use an Australia frequency Z-Wave stick that could be plugged into one of the USB ports on the ST v2 US hub to control Aussie frequency Z-Wave products. If this would not be possible, what would be the next best option for my ST US hub to talk to aussie Z-Wave devices ? If I get a vera edge controller can the ST join the Vera Z-Wave network ? Does it join other Z-Wave networks using the native Z-Wave frequency or would the protocol be over IP ?

Can anyone suggest how I could use a ST US hub to control aussie Z-Wave devices

Thanks

Hi David Aaron and anybody else,
With the Xiaomi products in AU, are you worried at all about them damaging or being blamed for damage to the electrical or home? ie those products you mentioned earlier look amazing but i’m weary of plugging them into sockets etc for the gateway so i can use those products.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jacky

Unfortunately it is illegal to use US frequency Z-Wave within Australia due to RF regulations. See other posts on this subject for more information.

I don’t know why it is such a huge task to release an Australian version, even if it is an early unit which at least supports the Australian Z-Wave frequencies.

So nobody has heard anything from Samsung about an Australian release?

I guess there must be intense demand on their resources due to other opportunities, including the BMW integration etc.

I hope we hear something positive from Samsung soon!