Arlo Pro 3 and ST Workarounds?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any success developing any workarounds for controlling Arlo Pro 3 cameras through ST.

I simply would like to arm and disarm my cameras based on the condition of my Smart Home Monitor (armed/disarmed).

I’ve looked at IFTTT with no success. What about Alexa? I know Alexa is compatable with both…

1 Like

The trick that I use is to just leave the Arlo system in Armed mode in the Arlo app, and then use SmartThings to turn the Arlo Cameras on/off depending on which condition the STHM is in. That’s because if the Arlo camera is off, then all it’s sensors are off, so Arlo won’t do anything.

@DaWeav I use this, but it doesn’t work for the pro 3. ST is unable to turn it “off” through the execution of a routine.

With Arlo Pro 3? Can you tell me how you are executing this?

1 Like

I have the Arlo 2 camera system, not the Arlo 3 sorry. The Arlo 2 camera devices in SmartThings have the ability to be switched on and switched off. So, even more Arlo/SmartThings fragmentation apparently. Guess I won’t upgrade to the Arlo 3’s since you all are advising that SmartThings can’t do a simple thing like switching the Arlo Camera device on/off. Wow!

it’s not SmartThings thatcan’t do a simple thing. Arlo needs to update their integration. You need to contact them.

1 Like

I have contacted Arlo, that was my first step. I have received ZERO response besides the standard canned answer…

I posted here in hopes of someone had found a workaround.

YES - I have solved this problem using IFTTT. I have both Pro-2 and Pro-3 cameras on my system. Its too bad the Pro-3 is not visible to ST via the Arlo link, but you can create the same functionality using IFTTT as a bridge between Arlo and Smartthings.

Problem: Smartthings (ST) does not “see” your Pro-3 camera, so you cannot use its motion detector to activate other ST devices.
Solution: Use IFTTT to detect when your Pro-3 detects motion, and respond by turning ON a Device in ST.

IFTTT will see your Pro-3 camera if you correctly set up the link between Arlo and IFTTT. The linking process starts on the IFTTT side. The first time you start to create an Applet in IFTTT that uses Arlo as either the “IF” or the “THEN” service, it will ask you to provide your Arlo credentials to connect the accounts.

Similarly, you have to grant specific permission for the Smartthings Devices you want to share with IFTTT. The first time you try to use a ST device in an Applet, IFTTT will ask you to link to your ST account. After connecting ST to IFTTT, go back to the ST App to set up the list of shared devices. You will now see IFTTT listed in your “connected services” in the Settings menu on the Smartthings app. When you click on the icon for IFTTT , Smartthings will let you specify all the ST devices you wish to share with IFTTT. If you dont go through this step, IFTTT will not display any “devices” when you try to create the Applet.

Now the easy part: creating the IFTTT Applet
On IFTTT:
Click “Explore”
Click “Create”
Create an IFTTT Applet that does this:
CLICK “IF+”
choose service: ARLO (if not already linked, you will be prompted)
choose trigger: Motion Detected
which Device?: from drop-down list
CLICK “Create Trigger”
CLICK “+THEN”
choose service: Smartthings
choose action: Switch on
which device?:
CLICK “Create Action”
CLICK “Finish”

That’s it!

1 Like

Yes all that’s very simple and definitely the easy part, but where I’m struggling is after turning on a light when motions detected on a certain camera,Is having the correct Applets that will turn the light off after two minutes, five minutes or whatever you choose, so there are amazing possibilities but someone has to have made that particular Applets for that brand of camera that particular brand of intelligent light and combine those two for the Thing to be seamless.

There are some basic Applets on there that will say when arlo camera detects motion it will turn on a smart thing device, but again it only turns on I’ve got to turn it off somehow and also I’m not sure why you can’t add multiple cameras, Such as if camera 1/2 detect motion SmartThings device X and Y would turn on. But things are heading in the right direction and will only get more amazing with time

After testing many IFTTT integration applets, this is my current kludge that looks like it is going to work.

I am using the Arlo Video Doorbell (or Arlo 3+ camera) motion to turn on my outside lights for 2 minutes but only from 11:00 PM to Sunrise, here are the steps.

1 – Create a virtual switch in Smartthings via the IDE and set to OFF – Called mine “Arlo IFTTT”
2 – Create IFTTT applet When Arlo Video Doorbell (or Pro 3 camera) senses Motion Turn ON Smartthings Switch “Arlo IFTTT”
3 – In Smartthings setup the custom app written by bravenel to Turn off after some minutes. Set Arlo IFTTT switch to turn off after 2 minutes (or whatever you desire).
4 – Using the Smartthings Smart Lighting SmartApp Set your lights to turn on/off as well Trigger is Switch “Arlo IFTTT” Turn on when Switch is Turned On (Turn off as well) Only during certain times (for me 11:00 PM to Sunrise).

I confirmed that the “Arlo IFTTT” switch will automatically turn on with motion then off again 2 minutes later. The “Arlo IFTTT” switch did not interfere with the outside lights (when on or off) during the day. Tonight, I’ll see if the lights go on after 11:00 PM (with Arlo motion) and off again after two minutes.

Update 10/19/2020 - I can now confirm that the above completely worked without hiccups or outlyer surprises. Good Luck!

IFTTT - Arm Arlo when Everyone Leaves

Disarm Arlo when Somebody Returns

Using Arlo 3 motion to control in Smartthings:

I am using the Arlo Video Doorbell (or Arlo 3+ camera) motion to turn on my outside lights for 2 minutes but only from 11:00 PM to Sunrise, here are the steps.

1 – Create a virtual switch in Smartthings via the IDE and set to OFF – Called mine “Arlo IFTTT”
2 – Create IFTTT applet When Arlo Video Doorbell (or Pro 3 camera) senses Motion Turn ON Smartthings Switch “Arlo IFTTT”
3 – In Smartthings setup the custom app written by bravenel to Turn off after some minutes. Set Arlo IFTTT switch to turn off after 2 minutes (or whatever you desire).
4 – Using the Smartthings Smart Lighting SmartApp Set your lights to turn on/off as well Trigger is Switch “Arlo IFTTT” Turn on when Switch is Turned On (Turn off as well) Only during certain times (for me 11:00 PM to Sunrise).

I confirmed that the “Arlo IFTTT” switch will automatically turn on with motion then off again 2 minutes later. The “Arlo IFTTT” switch did not interfere with the outside lights (when on or off) during the day. Tonight, I’ll see if the lights go on after 11:00 PM (with Arlo motion) and off again after two minutes.

Update 10/19/2020 - I can now confirm that the above completely worked without hiccups or outlyer surprises. Good Luck!