Anything I should know before shutting down SmartThings for a few months?

I’m in the process of selling my home and having a new one built. I’ll be packing up and storing my SmartThings hub and sensors and alarms and switches for about 5 months during this process. Is there anything I need to do as far as my ST account and devices before I disconnect everything? (I will, of course, speak with support as the move time gets closer).

Also, my new house will have a hard-wired alarm system with door and window and motion sensors (I believe that there will be ST integration potential but I’ll address that with the builders when I speak to them in a few weeks) so I will probably not be re-installing at least the window and door sensors, just my motion based sensors and light switches and, hopefully, motorized blinds and garage door opener. Are there any suggestions about how to “bring everything back up” once I move into the new home?

Thanks.

Smartthings, like most mesh controllers, is really easy to move.

Just unplug or physically disconnect everything at the old location. Do not delete or exclude devices.

When you set up at new house, change the hub’s geolocation.

Put all the devices in their new positions.

Now unplug the hub for 15 minutes, then plug back in. (That will refresh the zigbee routing.)

Then run the Zwave Repair utility to refresh the zwave address tables.

That should do it. :blush: One of the great things about mesh is it requires very little human intervention to maintain address tables, even if you move the whole network across town.

Storing Battery-powered Devices

I personally always remove batteries before storing devices for a few months, but I know a lot of people don’t. This is less important if the boxes will be stored in the regular temperature controlled area of the home. But if they’re going to be stored anywhere where the temperature might go above 90 F, including commercial storage, I would definitely remove the batteries.

http://www.rayovac.com/learning/battery-care.aspx

Geopresence Based on Device Connecting to Your WiFi Router

One more moving tip: if you also move your WiFi router from the old home to the new one, Geopresence will be confused for awhile.

This is because WiFi stations don’t know their own street addresses. This is information stored in your ISP’s account database, associated with the MAC address, and then shared with some other geopresence services.

Getting this updated can take a few weeks, and during that time some location services will think you’re at your old address when you’re home at your new address and connected to the WiFi.

If you get a new WiFi router for your new home this won’t be an issue, it’s only when you’re using a device with a MAC address registered to your old address.

Also, because this information gets shared, it may update with one service before another gets it.

So just something to be aware of if you use geopresence.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3078494?start=60&tstart=0

2 Likes

I would also check to see if there is a hub firmware update and apply that.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will. Since I’m the typical early adopter I’ll probably pick up V2 of the Hub (hopefully it will be out and have the more serious bugs squashed by January/February). I may just start from scratch and not even hook up V1.

Whether you change to v2 or not, the geopresence issue occurs when you move a WiFi router from one address to another. So just keep that in mind as well.

1 Like

Thanks. If I don’t just start over in January or February with the “I hope it’s been released” Hub V2 I’ll follow your advice. And I will be removing batteries when I store my devices.

Also, good info on the wifi router: I do use geopresence and this could be an issue. But, as I just stated, I’m probably going to pick up Hub V2 and start over with a clean install: it may take a few days but it will be good to add everything all at once rather than in the piecemeal fashion I have over the past 2 years.

1 Like

Again, I didn’t know that. Thanks.