Anyone using ST with Qubino Flush Shutter DC interface?

Hi, anyone who made this work?

I also have a Qubino Flush Shutter DC. I can add it to the ST, but I’m not able to control it.

Any ideas?

Hi Mikael,

I have been making progress with using the Quibno Flush Shutter DC module.

I recently obtained a custom DH for the module from Qubino but had little success with it.

It is possible that that some of my issues were hardware related as my module eventually locked up completely and was replaced under warranty.

The replacement module arrived yesterday and when I added it using the new Qubino DH it initially worked very well, with Open, Close and slider position functions all OK.

Sadly my joy has been short lived as this morning I find that I have no control at all of the module. I must now contact Qubino support again and hope not to have start all over once more.

Hi David,

sounds like a progress to me. =)
Can you share the DH?

Thanks in advance,
Mikael

Hi Mikael,

Here is a link to the Shutter DC custom device handler: https://github.com/kjamsek/SmartThings/blob/master/DeviceHandlers/Qubino/FlushShutterDC/FlushShutterDCDeviceHandler.groovy

I have been using it now for a few days with the new module and it does seem to be working OK.

However, I have two issues left to solve.

The first is that as the DH is not a switch or dimmer, the SmartLigting smartapp can no longer have scheduled routines that include the blinds, as it did when the default z-wave dimmer DH was used. I need to find a way of scheduling the blinds.

Second, the new DH is not seen by Alexa as a valid smarthome device, so voice control is also no longer possible as it was when using the default z-wave dimmer DH . I am not certain what the problem is but I am suspicious that Alexa rejects the blinds DH from voice control because the Open and Close commands make it appear to be a smartlock, which I know is not possible to voice control for security reasons.

Anyone have ideas for scheduling blinds and making voice control work?

Hey Guys,

I may be able to help you here. I have created a device handler for this device that works very well for me and should sort out all of your issues above.

HOWEVER, this device has a lot of config options, and ways of using it - and I haven’t programmed any of these in except the ones that I needed for my setup. Also, the code is a total mess. This is why I haven’t released this DH publicly like normal.

Take a look: https://github.com/adampv/smartthings/blob/master/FlushDCShutter.groovy

If you have any issues let me know and any features that you need that are different to my setup, I’ll try to put in as options in the settings that you can turn on and off.

Hope this helps

Hi Adam,

Thanks very much for your DH code which looks interesting.

I have tried to install it in my IDE but get the following red error message at the top of the screen when clicking the Create button;

Org.springframework.dao.DuplicateKeyException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [physicalgraph.device.CapabilityDeviceType#physicalgraph.device.CapabilityDeviceType : (unsaved)]; nested exception is org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [physicalgraph.device.CapabilityDeviceType#physicalgraph.device.CapabilityDeviceType : (unsaved)]

Any ideas, please?

I have never seen that before - can you try again?

That link does not work any more. New link: https://github.com/kjamsek/SmartThings/blob/master/DeviceHandlers/Qubino/FlushShutterDC/QubinoFlushShutterDCDeviceHandler.groovy

Hi there! I’ve installed your DH for this device, I’m wondering how I change the parameters before sending them to the device?

Edit the parameters in the DH using the IDE then send them to the device from the ST App by pressing the Config button in the Things control.

I’m having a tricky time with this one. I installed the device handler, but I’m not seeing which sections to edit in the IDE to change say parameter 71. Which section of the DH on the IDE should I edit to change these parameters?

Nevermind I’m an idiot. Was trying to edit the handler code itself instead of the screen before that in the IDE

Ok so now I’ve got it responding to direct commands via the smartthings app, but smartthings is much more than hitting the button to lower the blinds. Because it’s not a light or a lock it doesn’t show up anywhere else as being programmable in a routine or controlled by alexa, or iftt, minimote, nothing!

How can we make ST recognize this as a device that can be used in these ways? Is there a way of changing the device handler from blinds to say dimmer switch while keeping all the other functionality? Is there some virtual switch magic that could make this more than a press button solution?

As always I love this community, thanks for the help regardless!

Edit: If you edit the device handler and add capability switch
capability "Switch"
in the list, alexa and smartthings will recognize it as a dimmer, to the extent of allowing you to use it as a percentage (as in open and close do nothing to alexa, but “set blinds to 100” or “set blinds to 0” will operate the motor to that percentage. Also, for ST routines it doesn’t appear “turn on lights” will control the blinds, but set dimmer level in routines will open them to that percentage haha.

It’s not a real solution but at least I can program my blinds to open in the morning haha

Edit 2. Making a smart routine that turns “on” blinds and sets dimmers to 100 will completely open, and one setting it to turn on blinds and set dimmer to 10 will ALMOST completely close them.
Why ST thinks I only want to be able to program my dimmers in increments of 10 is beyond me. That’s dumb.

These are good questions! Sadly I have not found any answers yet. It has been suggested that something like webCore might help? In the meantime I have reverted to using the default “Z-Wave Metering Dimmer” as this can be included in Routines and controlled by Alexa with voice commands like “Alexa Study Blinds 50%”. My original reliability problems with this DH appear to have been solved by adding a Z-Wave Repeater between the interface & the ST Hub. Since the distance is less than 10m & it always connected during discovery I assumed that the wireless comms were OK but as it always stopped working after a few days perhaps the signal was not as strong as I had thought or there was interference. Perhaps adding further Z-Wave modules would have worked too?
It is extremely frustrating that ST has still to fully embrace window treatments and to have them controllable vis Alexa with Open or Close commands.

Hi David, we took different approaches. I used the DH shared in this post, and added capability switch (it had set level already). By telling st its also a switch, it opens up all the control we’re used to with dimmers. Alexa now responds to “set blinds to 50”, and I keep all the functionality built into the proper DH. The catch is that actually using it as a switch doesn’t work, so Alexa close or open blinds doesn’t work, but Alexa blinds to 1-100 does. As for routines. The smart app “dim and dimmer” allows more flexibility with dimming in routines beyond 10% increments. With that app, you select a routine, then you select dimming settings with any values you want when you run that routine. So I made a close blinds routine in ST that is empty, then used dim and dimmer to say when I run that routine set blinds to 1. For open blinds I just use STs routine settings to select 100. Without this smart app the lowest I could set the blinds with a routine was 10% lol.

Tldr: add switch capability to proper DH, get percentage integration with Alexa, but not open close (which I assume is what you get with normal z wave dimmer setting anyway)

Hi Stefan,
I have done as you suggested and modified the DH, so I now can use the Lighting SmartApp to turn "on"and “off” my blinds by schedule OK. However when the shutter interface is discovered by Alexa as a smarthome device it still gets identified as a dimmer. Voice commands for On, Off and position by percentage work OK but not Open or Close. If I create an Alexa Group with just the shutter interface in it and name the Group “Blinds” then Alexa will correctly respond to Open and Close commands for the group name but not the device name still. Almost a solution for me, but as I have several rooms with blinds I need to be able to identify them in the voice command and I have found that using any name for the group other than “Blinds” breaks the voice functionality. I would have expected that group names such as “Study Blinds”, “Living Room Blinds” to have worked but seems not to.
I have spoken with Alexa UK support who don’t have any answers but are escalating the issue with the suspicion that it is a USA / UK service related problem.

Perhaps using a virtual switch with a device handler for something Alexa can “open and close”, and then having the blinds mirror that switch?

I am quite new to modifing DH and so on. But there is an existing roller shutter DH from julienbachmann for the Fibaro Shutter, which works fine with the on/off function. Maybe someone is able to see what is different in the two codes and use this to fix the issue with the Qubino Shutter?

It looks like the DH has a Switch capability which I believe means it will respond to On and Off commands from something like the SmartLighting app.

I have added something similar to the DH I am currently using so at least I can schedule Open and Close.

However it is a bit frustrating still since On=Open and Off=Close, plus 100%=Open and 0%=Close, where as I prefer to think of the blind’s active state as being closed i.e. On. which is the reverse.

Even more frustrating is that Alexa commands direct to the blinds device need to be the same as for a dimmer, ie. On, Off and set level but if you create an Alexa Group (has to include blinds in the name) with just the one, same, device within it, then it mysteriously does respond to voice Open and Close commands. But I cannot make multiple and separate blinds groups work this way.

Clearly still a work in progress by both ST and Amazon.

David, thanks for your reply! I put the switch capability in the code and in the app the shutter has on/off buttons, but they don’t work and the voice control doesn’t work either. Just the 0/100% commands do just fine. Honestly, I don’t know why that is?!