Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

Well… Who’s in?

I don’t know what else to think, other than I have no idea where to start.

edit: If it’s a hush hush type deal… that wouldn’t seem so much like a community effort

Yes, and I briefly used the proof of concept where some basic webCoRE functionality could be mapped onto the Rules as they existed two years ago. Are the (plans for) the Rules the same two years on or have they come up with something better?

For example, I have a pretty good idea how ‘was’, ‘changes’ and ‘stays’ were actually implemented in webCoRE and I just don’t see or feel a similar approach in the way Rules are handling ‘was’, ‘changes’ and ‘remains’. So I can imagine eventually being able to replace most pistons with Rules, but I just can’t see them using the same algorithms, and nor would I want them to either.

I am anticipating something far better than webCoRE.

1 Like

Indeed. The rules API will continue to improve. Many eyes are on it.

6 Likes

A little cryptic, Jody, but I appreciate that much, anyway.

3 Likes

I can imagine quite a few of those eyes belong to staff who use SmartThings at home.

Before it gets improved too much, is the ‘Install Limit’ mentioned on the Rate limits page still accurate? Only 100 is a very small number indeed even if it is per Location, and there is no indication that it actually is per Location. As I’ve commented before I have a small property even by UK standards, and minimal automation going on. Yet I have 78 Rules. So the power users could have a frightening number.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Hello World Edge Driver

If it is not defined how the change from DTHs to drivers at the end user level will work, it would be very important to ensure that it will not be necessary to uninstall all the zigbee and zwave devices connected to the hub one by one, put them back into pairing mode and reinstall them.
Taking into account that many are far from the hub and:

• Normally the switches are embedded in junction boxes or switch boxes distributed throughout the house.
  • Door and window sensors glued to their fences.
  • Water valves installed in pipes.
  • and other devices.

And have to make all the automations where the uninstalled devices appear

Thanks

2 Likes

It’s heartening that employees understand the value, importance and ease of use of WebCoRE for the average user who doesn’t code, WebCoRE is what makes SmartThings smart. ST without WebCoRE is inconceivable.
WebCoRE tells me when my ip address changes. I can leave a phone at home and WebCoRE forwards SMS’s and missed calls to me. WebCoRE starts a WhatsApp call on a home phone when the doorbell rings to view the intercom. WebCoRE tells me to close a shutter if wind is above 30knots, from the south east between certain times of day. WebCoRE plays my internet radio stations on my Samsung speakers. WebCoRE sends a photo from a tablet if it’s motion is triggered in away mode. WebCoRE opens a loud mechanical shutter randomly between x and x, but if there’s movement wait 5 minutes then shut it. These are just some examples.
And you realize there will only be 20 people intelligent enough to use that CLI stuff, so we need the front facing Rules API WebCoRE before you close down groovy.
Seems there are 3 choices.
1, We continue to wait patiently until all the kinks are ironed out, all the developer testing is done, and you guys release the new local WebCoRE for the new system.
2, If SmartThings/Samsung and @ady624 have no intention of releasing the code officially for the local WebCoRE you have already, please release the open source code to a trusted group of community members like @orangebucket , @ogiewon , @Mariano_Colmenarejo , @Tim99 , @TAustin, @blkwll or anyone else that can help, so they can start organising saving WebCoRE.
3, just do nothing.
@Brad_ST @jody.albritton

6 Likes

Although the built in Rule Engine has come a LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG way, it is no match for webCoRE. It’s just dog simple to make simple rules, easy enough to understand to make more complicated rules and outright ingenious for complex rules including variables!

The ability to just copy existing rules, tweak them and apply them to other devices is Godsent. webCoRE should ABSOLUTELY be the benchmark for a solid, easy to use Rule Engine. The Rules API is NOT the answer for people who are not intuitive coders. I consider myself to be damn smart but I just can’t get down with the Rules API.

Don’t get me wrong, the built in Rules Engine should work for majority of users who are doing normal automations but ST “was”/“still is for now” a platform that allowed for “the sky is the limit” home automations that was fun. The Classic App was snappy and things typically worked without much fuss.

I am still holding on for hope but…

1 Like

I’ve seen very little evidence here or anywhere else to suggest that ST is either willing or able to invest the time, energy, or expertise to provide anything close to the capability that webCoRE provides.

It would be nice to be proven wrong, but it seems highly unlikely that will happen.

1 Like

This is as close as we will probably get to a Webcore replacement.

When considering only actions within the SmartThings environment, it seems like the Rules API could do close to the same as webcore with the proper front end. But I would imagine SmartThings isn’t too keen on doing certain things external to itself that webcore does like call external APIs, a custom mobile presence device, subscribe to IP address changes, etc We’ll see once the above tool is released.

2 Likes

All I personally need is the conversion to json and use of dates (month) and variables to do math. (Plus a how to get started video) and I would be happy!

1 Like

wow…i am really missing out on Webcore. I did not know about Whatsapp integration and photos from tablet. would love to know more.

The tablet photos and motion alerts are with Fully Kiosk Browser and a piston shared by @Bloodtick_Jones. The WhatsApp integration is with Tasker for Android. As is before I get in the car WebCoRE turns off WiFi and turns on Bluetooth. WebCoRE sends a personalised random greeting on the speakers depending who arrives home. These are all simple copy and paste pistons shared on the WebCoRE forum. WebCoRE tells me an hour before the next space rocket launch and where it is in the world. WebCoRE’s possibilities are limitless. I have a washing machine AND dryer connected to a single smart plug, WebCoRE can distinguish when either is finished and tells me how many loads were done that day/week/month. How is this replicated with the Rules API? WebCoRE knows when a cat is attempting to access toilet facilities without permission and turns on the sprinklers.
@Vishlance don’t listen to the doom and gloomers who tell people not to use WebCoRE (without any facts), get on the WebCoRE train, because without WebCoRE, you’re basically just turning lights on and off.

Does this mean that people will be able to create their own device handlers and smart apps again just now in Lua?

I’ve got HIve heating integrated into smartthings which i believe i’ll be loosing once ST ditches the IDE.

The Edge drivers are the replacement for device handlers for hub connected devices going forwards. Other integrations already exist for cloud to cloud integration and devices that connect direct to the cloud. It isn’t clear where mobile connected devices are going but they are a relatively new concept.

Replacements for custom Groovy SmartApps have been around for quite some time, though there seem to be issues to iron out when you get to multi-user installations. With those there has been a shift from being hosted inside the SmartThings cloud to user and third party hosting. That is all separate to the Edge drivers.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I take it, in the case of heating systems with TRV’s for example, we will still need edge drivers for each device we’re looking to control. Or will it be a case of everything being controlled via the API?

Apologies my instrest in this are just around the Hive heating right now and i’ve very little hope that Hive (Centrica) and ST are going to invest in each other any time soon!

Add Heatmiser to that list

Is there a maximum amount of unique drivers folks will be able to install?

1 Like

As much as we’d love to support infinite drivers :wink:

Yes, there are a few limits in place and we’ll work to communicate the limits (both on individual drivers and for the number of distinct drivers) as we move forward. The main limiting factor for the number of drivers will be RAM usage and the number will be dependent on the hub target. With the SmartThings published drivers you see support for several related devices in a single driver – this in part makes sense from a maintenance perspective but also helps to reduce memory pressure by reducing the number of sandbox instances that need to be spun up.

We are also continuing to optimize how we execute the drivers sandbox so there are a few variables in play at the moment that make it hard to give a super straight answer at this point in the beta. All that said, we believe most users will not come close to bumping into issues with not having resources to run drivers for a good variety of devices but it may be that in time we’ll want to encourage some community projects to go a similar route of supporting several related devices in a single driver to reduce resource impact.

3 Likes