Android 2.0 Discussion

I’m too lazy to look it up, but, once again, I’ve requested this many, many times:

Just like modern OS’s (including Windows) have the concept of a “soft link” (also known as a Shortcut), there should be the option to create as many “virtual clones” of a Thing as you wish, each one of which could have a slightly different view (e.g., the clones of a Multi-Sensor could each have their own default view: open/close, temperature, activity)… but at the very least, a clone can be placed in each of multiple-rooms, thus solving @pstuart’s request!

(And several others requesting the same thing… and what http://SmartTiles.click will permit when multiple-dashboards per account are supported too, by the way…

[quote=“Navat604, post:125, topic:21627, full:true”]
Please allow us to have one device in multiple rooms. That would solve quite a few problem.
[/quote])

Whether these are called “soft links”, “shortcuts”, or “virtual clones”, or whatever, I’m sure you understand the concept, but feel free to ask for clarification.

Windows marks shortcuts with a little curvy arrow in the corner of the icon, to distinguish them from the original or “real” object. That same concept can be used here to perhaps reduce user confusion, though frankly, the “hard link” concept can be used instead, where every shortcut is functionally equivalent to the original and the original can even be deleted. The user is only warned if they try to delete the last existing clone. Oh well… Won’t be implemented anyway.

5 Likes