Amazon Fire 7 w/Alexa & ActionTiles / Root or No?

I’ve had this Amazon Fire 7 (their 7th Gen 7" Fire tablet from 2017) sitting around for a while, and I’m finally ready to put it into use.

Over the past 2-3 years, I recall seeing mentions here and there about rooting this series of tablets for one reason or another. I’m totally ok with doing that (have rooted many other non-Amazon Androids before, and am completely comfortable with the process, etc), but what I want to know is, do I need to root it for what I’m going to be using this particular unit for?

Basically, it is going to be serving two primary functions…

1. An always-listening Amazon Alexa device (so I can move a particular Echo device from one place to another, and have this tablet take its place)
  2. An always on (well, screen on/off via motion sensor & webCoRE, but still) ActionTiles home automation control panel

It will be mounted to the wall (probably simply using 3M Command strips instead of the purpose-made wall mounts this time), and although it will be possible, there is not much chance that I will ever pick it up to use it in my hands (other than when configuring it, etc).

So, do I need to root it for this? I really have no idea what this thing is like. I haven’t even opened the package yet, and wanted to get this part figured out first before I boot it up; just in case there is any reason I need to start some portion of the rooting process prior to initial boot-up or anything like that.

I recently did the same with a Fire HD 10 without rooting. You might try the process I linked to here which worked well for me.

2 Likes

I have the fire 7 and recently did exactly the same without rooting it.

2 Likes

Awesome!
Thanks, guys. :slight_smile:

p.s. I could only mark one as the ‘solution’ lol

2 Likes