Fire 7 Tablet with Alexa, 7" Display, 8/16 GB - $35/$55 (04/09/18)

Fire 7 Tablet with Alexa, 7” Display, 8/16 GB - $35/$55

Fire HD 8 Tablet with Alexa, 8" HD Display, 16 GB, Black $55

Fire HD 10 Tablet with Alexa Hands-Free, 10.1" 1080p Full HD Display, 32 GB, Black $110

*prime account required

2 Likes

$30 per tablet discount if you use AMEX points to pay for a portion seems to still apply. I just ordered two of the HD 8 tablets for around $53 in total after using AMEX points for $1.

These things are perfect for Wall Mounted Controllers! Especially now that the 7 and 8 has hands free Alexa.

Win

Cheaper than the Iris Keypad…does anyone have pics showing off their setup?

I have these things all over the place running Fully Kiosk Browser and Action Tiles. So cool but to be honest, nobody hardly uses them. :roll_eyes: Getting more love now that hands off Alexa is enabled while plugged in which all of mine have constant power. Also have them connected to Bluetooth Speakers and/or Echo Devices running LANnouncer for audio notifications…

2 Likes

If your house is automated, they should not be used much.
The control panel is to monitor what’s going on in your house. Actual actions are done with sensors and voice commands.

2 Likes

Well then, I must be doing something right! :rofl:

2 Likes

I love the clean look of your install. How did you mount them? I’ve been looking at some of the 3D printed mounts but your set up looks more polished IMO.

1 Like

Do you leave the screens on all the time?

Welp…Good old fashion self adhesive Velcro did the trick for me. I did have to staple the Velcro to the wall to give it extra security.

As far as the charging cable, I made it out of a Qi charging receiver and a usb cable.

With Fully Kiosk, the screen dims to black (well almost black) after a certain timeout period of no motion. Works great! I put a watt meter on it and it draws less than 2 watts so no harm there.

I have others that just sit on stands and I made a mini extension cable that I can disconnect easily if I need to take it off the stand (Basic Amazon Tablet Stand).

Not as clean as the tablet that came with my Vizio TV that works great as well!

1 Like

That looks great!

1 Like

Agreed! I’ve got to try to replicate.

How did you power the USB?

I grabbed power from the switch below.

The goal was to run Romex to a remodel recessed box and install an outlet with usb built in it.

Nice! Thanks.

1 Like

I’m very interested in this setup. My wife would like a “controller” other than our phones to control certain things so it’s accessible to family as well.

A few questions for you guys…

1. I’ve been meaning to get some Echo Dots so I can use alexa with my ST home automation. Can the Fire 7 replace that for me in the area I’d like to put it in?
  2. Can I install the kiosk browser and action tiles all within the standard operating system of the Fire 7 or do I need to do something different?

Thanks!

Amazon did an update to their Fire Tablets 7 and 8 that allow them to be used as hands free Alexa devices when plugged in.

They differ a bit from an actual Echo device whereas you will not be able to use them as intercoms or multi-room audio devices.

However, they are really neat and “we” find ourselves using them more and more for Voice related task as they are in “some” places where we didn’t place Dots.

I believe that I am up to about 30 Alexa devices so I do have a strong Bias!

I will say that you don’t want a handsfree Fire and a Dot or Echo in the same vicinity. My wife brings her Fire 10 to bed and it was always turning itself on and replying when we asked Alexa something. We ended up disabling Alexa on the tablet.

1 Like

@RLDreams aren’t all on ESP should it should be a non issue with having multiple hands free Alexa devices?