Amazon Echo Starts Randomly Playing Music without Command

Yes, definitely Alexa is haunted. My kids were playing in the bathtub and Alexa all of the sudden started playing Smoke on the Water. It must know I used to listen to Deep Purple.

(seriously though Alexa misheard my kids, woke up to listen, and then heard them say water and decided to play Deep Purple - cannot say I didn’t enjoy hearing the song)

I woke up @ 11:58pm last night to Alexa saying “ok i will play you music” and the proceeded to play music. It’s the first time she has done it in the year we have had her. It scared the hell out of me being as my daughters were across the house asleep and i was the only one in my room. Plus the fact that i heard a chair move downstairs earlier in the week at 4am and found no one down there. so hopefully my house is not haunted and just mere coincidences

My Girlfriend and I were talking about sepultura and other metal bands and it randomly suggested 5 finger death punch and proceeded to play it, no mention of the word ‘Alexa’ to wake it. Pretty freaky!!

That’s called “being proactive” and anticipating your every desire. No extra charge.

2 Likes

I guess your right Haha, tbf we didn’t talk to her in a few days prior to that, she was probably just bored and wanting to get involved. Bless

Any time you’re not sure why the alexa does something, use the alexa app or web page to see what triggered it. It’s usually some combination of background noise that has the same cadence as ‘a-lex-a’.

1 Like

I think there is something wrong may because of bad soul. Be careful!

Here is a new one that is a Shakespearean Comedy of Errors. My Series 3 Apple Watch automatically shows the controls for managing Spotify. When I play Spotify through Alexa, it activates my watch. When I bump my watch face, it restarts the music.

So my “ghost” was tilting my watching and making the right contact to start music.

1 Like

hi if you find out why its happening can u reply to me I’m having the same problem

My echo started to play music at around 3 am. The house was quiet and no command was given. I see it’s something that has happened to many users. But why 3 am? Coincidence?

Well I did as the answer prescribed and went to my Alexa history and discovered the downside of renaming Alexa to “Computer”. Don’t watch Star Trek while Alexa is listening. Guess how many times Captain Kirk, et. al. say “Computer” in the context of the show and Alexa then tries to do something. P.F. Drucker is well know for calling a computer a moron, because it always does what it is told.

3 Likes

My amazon Alexa just started playing “Vossi Bop” by stormzy and when we tried to turn it of it went red and then went sorry I don’t understand… not sure what happened as it was just really random…

None of these answers explain it. Here is what happened to me. I went into the back yard and was the only person home. Was out there for a good 20 minutes when I came in it was playing a Taylor swift song on the echo show in the kitchen… And it was also displaying the lyrics to the song. So it wasn’t someone connecting to Bluetooth. When it was done with that song it quit and didn’t play any more songs. When I check the activity there was none indicating why it did it. Not a single entry… Just did it out of the blue with no noise at all.

My Alexa is randomly playing music every few hours…but my question is, why is it always patriotic music? like star spangled banner and yankee doodle and others. It’s never at the same time!

I have four echoes in my house all four of them started blasting music about midnight last night it was all the same music it was all synced up amongst all of my echos woke all of us up there is nothing in the history what the hell did I get hacked is this a flaw in the echo from Amazon if this is happening to this many people they need to fix it ASAP or refund are f****** money

This happened to me last night. No tv, husband in bed, all of a sudden I started hearing my favorite song by GNR start playing. I walked in the room and no lights on no command made. Kind of creepy

I finally figured this out.Check ROUTINES. Anytime Alexa is doing something that you do not know why it is happening just Ask “Alexa, Why are you doing this” before stopping it from what it is doing. It took a long time to figure out why we had one talking tube started playing music every morning at 5:30 when there was no alarms set.

I’m having the same issue, the first thing I checked was the recent history, the only thing it showed was me telling Alexa to stop playing music but didn’t identify what triggered it to start playing, it’s seriously is driving me nuts, mine just went off at 1:00am so I just turned the volume all the way down until I find a solution.

So my Alexa just started randomly playing music at six thirty while I was trying to sleep and the volume was going up and down. I have no other Alexa in my app and this was very scary please say someone else has have this happen to them bc it’s also just starting to do this and has never happened before

1 Like

It happened to me a few minutes ago and has happened before I’m not sure what it was but I was listening to Ariana grande and then it started playing like rock music and was getting louder and louder