Amazon Echo soon will control thermostats natively

Let me know how this goes… My real question is what happens if you say “Alexa, raise the temperature by two degrees”. What will she do? Ask to clarify where?

@Alex_K

Me: “Alexa, raise the temperature by two degrees.”

Alexa: “I’m sorry. Which device did you mean?”

Me: “Upstairs.”

Alexa: “Setting upstairs thermostat heat to 70” (It was at 68)

Yup, I’m lovin’ this.

If this works with the Centralite, it should work with any connected thermostat. IMHO

1 Like

What if you had said “Alexa, raise the temperature upstairs by two degrees.”?

Me: “Alexa, lower the upstairs temperature two degrees.” (I didn’t want to raise it. Hot enough already.)

Alexa: “Lowering the upstairs thermostat heat to 70.” (Was at 72.)

1 Like

Can you ask it to turn on and off? (I am giddy, this is so cool)

Using Nest Thermostat Device Type w/Multi-Tile, I can’t get Alexa to discover the Nest devices. I’m assuming I should be able to do the normal “Alexa, Discover Devices” command and they should show up in the Alexa app?

Me: “Alexa, turn (set) upstairs thermostat off.”

Alexa: “I’m sorry. That command doesn’t work on device upstairs thermostat.”

That was my next try anyway.

I’m still lovin’ it.

did it show up in the ST app? you need to add it in the Echo SmartApp first.

Ah, that’s right…I always forget that step.

I’m not at home, so I can’t test if it’s working, but the thermostats have now been discovered in the Alexa app.

I need this! Ok, I have a Honeywell 9580 wifi thermostat. It cools down my house during the work day, and if I come home early the timer hasn’t kicked in to heat it back up yet. I have a fireTV in my car and I’d love to tell Alexa to warm up my house while I’m commuting back home. Right now, she says my thermostat cant do that when I try one of the set temperature commands, …so what’s the trick, what capability does the thermostat device driver need coded to accept a temperature set request?

This works great…I have four thermostats and all named Thermo - xxx in ST…I added groups in Alexa for easier naming for each thermostat and that works great too. I also added a group called “All thermostats”…and that works too…“Alexa, set all thermostats to 60 degrees”. - “ok”

Very happy!!

Nice! This works with both my Evolve T100r’s with my own device handler. Nice job ST! @Tyler

Now to replace my Bluespray sprinkler controller with the Spruce!

1 Like

First off, I am a total noob, so sorry for the ignorance (I am trying to learn), however, I do have an issue. I have ST v2, Logitech Harmony Hub, Amazon Fire TV v2, CT 100 Thermostat. This a.m. I:

1. Updated the Amazon Echo App on ST and included ‘Thermostat’ under My Thermostats.
  2. Found the ‘Thermostat’ under Discovered Devices on the Amazon Echo App on phone.
    3)Me (using Amazon Fire TV: “Alexa, set the thermostat to 65”
  3. Alexa: That command doesn’t work on device thermostat"

Am I doing something wrong? Should I install use something else? Both Harmony and ST see the thermostat and I can use IFTTT to control “Turn heat up to 65”, but wanted something more natively. Any suggestions?
If I can get this going, it might be the deal breaker for my wife to let me get the Echo Dot. :slightly_smiling

I think someone else mentioned that the thermostat functionality wasn’t working through Fire TV’s version of Alexa yet. Maybe the Fire TV will need an update to enable this.

I think you are right, the FireTv I put in my car says “That command does not work on device thermostat” (my echo at home with the same account works fine), The fireTV won’t do the latest stuff like read kindle books either. I ordered a couple of Dots…When they get here next month, I’ll swap a Dot into my car and hook the Fire TV up to a “real” TV in my house. :wink:

Got the email last night. @DarcRanger’s dimmer smartapp work’s so well. I’m scared to switch away from it! It looks like this doesn’t add much value other than being native?

1 Like

congratulations. Voice interface to Tstat is Nice to have.

So today, one of my thermostats does not work anymore - Alexa says “Sorry, downstairs thermostat could not be reached because the Smartthings service is experiencing issues” - It is the only thermostat saying this - all my lights and switches seem to still work.

I have removed the thermostat from the Echo SmartApp, removed the Thermostat from the Echo discovered devices, Re-added it to both and tried again – I got the same results. The only thing I have not tried, is removing the thermostat from SMartthings and re-adding it…mainly because it is in about 8 different smartapps/routines that I will have to go in and modify…

This thermostat worked perfectly last night…

It is a CT30…just checked the logs, and I am getting an “Unknown Thermostat Mode” error in the Amazon Echo log on IDE…at first I thought it was because it was not in HEAT mode, but it was…

Also - I can set the thermostat fine from the ST app.

Any ideas?

Make sure your thermostat is set to heat or cold. From what I understand, Echo doesn’t work if mode is set to automatic.

That’s what I thought it was too…But it was set to heat…at one point, the Z-Wave T-Stat app was showing the mode as IDLE in the app, but I changed that so that the app and thermostat were in sync on HEAT…and it still failed…would I need to re-add the thermostat to Echo with it on heat…?? Although doesn’t make sense why it worked last night…