Amazon Echo not working

Just got an email from IFTTT: “Your SmartThings Channel is offline. It might be that you’ve changed a username, password or some other information recently.” Of course, we know what the cause is…

Exactly. They really need to start being more responsible with the status page. Throw a heads up that their making some changes in the backend and this could effect any and all integrations. Just reading through the posts lots of people have been wasting there time trouble shooting and re-adding when the back end is the problem. I spent an hour messing with my motion sensors for no reason it seems now. A simple update to let us know and we all could have gone on with our day and waited for everything to settle.

Oddly, when I DO get emails about current SmartThings problems, I’m not experiencing any.

Ask three of my echo’s are acting just like my two 16 year old boys…

They say ok… And do nothing.

9 Likes

Just adding a me too. I just got things set up after Christmas and the family has been loving using the Echo to control our living room and Kitchen lights. Getting a big thumbs down to have to use the app. My seven year old discovered the problem and let me know that I need to get this fixed.

At least it’s not just us.

Having issues here as well. Can control my Cree bulbs but that’s about it.

+1, just like everyone else.

Echo not working… just says “ok” when I ask for the usual lights on/off.
Timed events not working.
Routines not working.

Of course status.smartthings.com says everything is operational and there are no issues. Right. Way to be upfront and honest with your customers.

Looks like it’s a Smartthings problem again. My Echo will turn on my hue bulbs fine , because I’m connected the Echo directly to the hue bulbs not using Smartthings. However my Zwave stuff don’t work at all and that is Smartthings. Hopefully when they fix this and I won’t have to reconfigure all my stuff again I’m starting for feel like a Smartthings tech 24/7 .

Hello home routines are also failing to execute. I am also seeing some smart apps like smartblighting failing to execute or taking too long. Ex: light come on with motion but does not go off after motion stops.

My motion sensor has been acting up the last few days and it has been driving me crazy! I’ve spent so much time tinkering and re-tinkering. “Good” to know that it is probably related to whatever issue is going on right now.

And @bamarayne wins this one. Best comment of the day!

I did hear back from support. They know there’s a problem and are working on it… That’s about all they said, fairly generic response, but I was appreciative to at least get a e-mail within 3 hours considering the wait times some folks have talked about.

Yes, Cree bulbs are working with ST/echo and the ST multi-purpose sensor seems to be working with ST (slow response and that thing is usually very sketchy); however Evolve lfm-20 (z-wave device) is not currently working with echo. ST app will control all items. I was just about to install a wall duplex outlet to extend range of z-wave devices and I have reset/re-discovered the relay several times. Sound like I want to hold off working with it till current config comes back on line on ST side of things. Anyone know why app works but not echo on what seems to be z-wave devices.

I assumed Echo is just a “messenger” to hubs and devices. That’s actually the brilliance of it.

Samething for me. Cree works but Zigbee and Zwave device do not activate through Alexa.

Tracking this in the Known
Issues area in the community-created wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Bug:External_Integrations_fail(Echo,_Harmony,_IFTTT,_SmartTiles)

1 Like

One thing I forgot to mention is that my Echo can find all the ST devices properly using the “Find My Devices” command either verbally or using the Alexa app. When I added a new switch this morning, Echo found it and thought it was controlling it.

My echo stopped talking to all of my smarthings devices (including the Sonos, which communicates thru smartthings.) Not sure if this is related or not, but I received a SmartThings SMS status alert at 4:55pm PT today:

[SmartThings status] Identified: Routine Execution Issues http://stspg.io/1qc1

If the same section of code, or servers, that runs routines also does third party API connections, these may be related items. (And yes, none of my Routines work either)

Yep, add me to the list. Started about 2hrs go. Everything works fine through the app (garage door relay, in wall light switches, Samsung WiFi speakers, Aeon smart switches, etc.) All of the mentioned work with Echo except my Aeon smart switches.

I have the same problem with my echo…

What I don’t understand is how this just magically happens … Things just don’t break on their own

First time poster here having the same problem. Came up with a temporary work around for my setup that I wanted to share. The Echo is used primarily to control the lights in the living room. Both lights are on smart plugs, one z-wave (dimmer) and one Wemo. Since, as noted, Echo can control Wemo directly and that functionality works fine, I added a smart lights automation on the Wemo to say when that turns on/off, do the same for the z-wave device. Of course you lose dimming/individual on/off abilities but it solves the problem of the family not wanting to use the app to control the lights in the living room and importantly it works (I tested before posting). Hopefully things get fixed on Smartthings end soon and I can go back to normal, but in the meantime, this makes everyone happier!

1 Like