Amazon Alexa

(Rodney Mc Dowell) #1

how do i know if Alexa is controlling devices through the smart things hub. If i delete the devices in Alexa she will not control them. If i add them back to Alexa she controls them even when the smartthings hub is powered down?

(Ray) #2

If you are adding devices from Smartthings Hub to Alexa then Alexa won’t be able to control your devices from Smartthings when the hub is off since Alexa is just a messenger to Smartthings. Your devices need the hub to talk to the outside world.

(Rodney Mc Dowell) #3

Maybe I don’t understand, but when I add them through the gun Alexa still will not communicate. She will not communicate until I discover the devices through the Alexa app.

Rodney McDowell

(Ray) #4

That’s how you add devices from ST to Alexa. It’s a two steps procedure. You will do the same everytime you add a device from ST to Alexa.

(Rodney Mc Dowell) #5

If that is the case, why do i need the ST Hub? At that point the Alexa app controls the device even when the Hub is powered down.

(Ray) #6

You need the ST hub ON for Alexa.

(Mark) #7

A Dot or Echo can connect to some devices directly so you can control them with Alexa; but they need a wifi (or Ethernet) connection.

The z-wave or zigbee devices connected to your ST hub can be controlled via Alexa only with the ST skill. If your hub isn’t on, this won’t work.

(Rodney Mc Dowell) #8

Ok, maybe I should give the details. Today my Smartthings app showed my hub offline, but was still controlling my devices. A reboot of the hub fixed this issue. It made me wonder how it was working so i unplugged the Hub. The Ecobee thermostat and the Wemo outlet switch still functioned through Alexa. Next I powered the hub back up, deleted the devices from the Alexa app and verified they were still in the ST app. Alexa could not control the devices anymore. I expected to see exactly what you described, but that isn’t the case. Maybe I am setting it up wrong, but I have been on you tube most of the day and all the videos pretty much show only one way to set it up.

(Ray) #9

The reason for this is because Amazon Alexa officially support Ecobee and Wemo devices so most likely you link them directly to Alexa and not using ST as a middleman.
You can test them by leaving the ST hub off and run a device discovery with the Alexa app. Most likely you will see them get discovered.
To test the ST hub with Alexa. Try controlling a z-wave or zigbee device with Alexa while keeping the ST hub off. You shouldn’t be able to.

(Rodney Mc Dowell) #10

Thanks for the information and the quick responses. I have not had much success with the Z wave devices up to this point. Any suggestions about which ones work as advertised?