Amazon Alexa announces support for scenes

I used to but I stopped because I had trouble remembering all of the commands. I wanted to keep it simple :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have some routines with virtual switches but most do not, and all of mine are also disabled in the Alexa app. Not sure what the issue would be with simple “turn light off” when I leave, etc.

EDIT: Well I jumped into the ST smartapp for Amazon Echo, and all my routines are disabled by Amazon because they contain a prohibited device which would require me to remove locks, garage doors, cameras, security systems and security devices.

So it sounds like if you use SHM, you get nothing from Alexa right now.

Strange support to add, as I had already created scenes using virtual switches and they have worked fine. “Alexa, turn on work in TV room.” “…turn on bedtime.” “…turn on reading in Living Room.”

Amazon offered the feature to all of their developer partners, and SmartThings took advantage of it.

It will allow people who don’t want to deal with the IDE a fast way to add additional functionality to the Amazon/SmartThings integration. So I think all that makes sense.

I am concerned that the limitations will be confusing to people, but I guess support will have to help them figure it out. :sunglasses:

Where are scenes in the Alexa app? I might not be seeing it due to being in UK.

They’re not created in the Alexa app.

Instead, home automation skills that work with Alexa like SmartThings can now identify their routines/scenes as Alexa – enabled options and then they will show up in Alexa just like another device and you will be able to “turn on” that name.

The way SmartThings has implemented this is that you have to say you do want Alexa to be able to run routines in the SmartThings mobile app. After that, you do a regular discovery just like you would do for new devices and then you will be able to see the routine names in your device list in the Alexa app.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/210204906-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-Routines

here is a link to more specific details.
https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/providing-scenes-in-a-smart-home-skill

MAIN POINTS:
Max of 12 scenes allowed

Allowed Devices:
The following device types are allowed to be incorporated as part of a scene:
Light bulbs
Thermostats
Switched electrical outlets
Fans
Window blinds

Devices that are not allowed:
Device types that have security or safety considerations are prohibited. The following list contains examples of devices that are not allowed. If we determine that your smart home skill allows the discovery of scenes that affect disallowed devices, it will not pass the certification process.
Door locks
Garage doors
Security systems
Security sensors
Cooking appliances
Cameras

The “max 12 scenes” is the 12 scenes that the developer can have predefined utterances for . If you look at the end of the article you’ll see that a customer can set up as many custom scenes as they want to have. So I think SmartThings should be fine as far as routines go. They only predefined three routines.

Yes JD, I suppose I didn’t make that clear :frowning: thanks.

1 Like