Alexa suddenly cant find scenes (Feb 2023)

Hello everyone.

Anyone have any idea why today all of a sudden Alexa cannot find or activate any scenes? They are all in my app and work fine manually, and I have used them for years, but today Alexa is reporting “I could not find a device or group named… in … profile.” ST is not reporting any issue for this as of 4pm PST.

1 Like

Ditto here but with Google Assistant vs. Alexa, I came to this forum to investigate and came across your post immediately.

Sometime in the past several hours, all ST scene actions have disappeared from my Google Home routines, and are not available to add from the list of available scenes. They are all present and working in SmartThings app, however. Further, all devices linked via ST are working fine in Google Home, just not scenes.

My guess is some ST service is down that links scenes to external services.

1 Like

Same here. The first symptom was ST scenes not running from Alexa. I tried relinking accounts and deleting scenes from Alexa and rescanning but scenes arent detected only devices.

As a work around Ive added Hue bulbs into Alexa routines directly and created a ST virtual switch and a ST routine to control Sonos

1 Like

Fingers crossed ST comes back online quickly, I’m not going to devote a bunch of time to workarounds right away in hopes this is very temporary.

1 Like

Also, is there any proper way to notify Samsung support of this outage? I don’t know if they actively moderate this forum.

1 Like

Glad I checked new posts this evening - my wife just complained that our Alexa routine to trigger the kids’ bedtime scene didn’t respond tonight. Worked fine from ST app.

Nothing reported on https://status.smartthings.com/ so far.

2 Likes

I emailed support@smartthings.com (and included a link to this conversation). There are some folks who are active here but I think they usually get tagged when needed rather than monitoring all conversations as they come up.

2 Likes

Thanks for contacting them. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

1 Like

This forum was set up several years ago so that customers could help other customers with a Home Automation platform. It’s not monitored by support, except for spam and harassment stuff, and one specific section for professional developers.

To report a problem to smartthings employees, use the options at the bottom of the following page

It’s best if everyone whose having a problem contacts them, because the more reports they get, typically the more resources they will assign to looking into it.

2 Likes

Done, via email, with a link to this thread.

2 Likes

Same Issue here. Reported. I’d just like to point out how we all immediately “knew” that this is a Smartthings issue rather than an Alexa one. What does that say about confidence in Smartthings…

1 Like

I renamed one of scenes to “Amazon Morons”.
It worked twice.
On third Alexa responded “cannot find ozones” on my profile.
On fourth Alexa did reset to factory settings.
Tried to report but takes too much time to get their attention

Renaming scenes dosen’t seen to help for me. Even new scenes do not show up in Alexa after rediscovering scenes.

1 Like

@sdbg Well, the fact that I’m a Google Home user, not Alexa, seems fairly indicative of a problem on the ST side.

2 Likes

Missed that post. Good point!

1 Like

++ automation requests to Alexa are a no-go.

Basic device control and state mirroring is working in both directions, however.

Seems to have started for me since last night, about the same time as the Android app update. Incidentally this update has the function of being able to test-run automations, but also has an incident. The test functions but the device tile doesn’t show it.

UPDATE

Suchitra T (SmartThings)

Feb 22, 2023, 1:18 AM MST

Hey John,

Thank you for reaching out Samsung SmartThings Support.!

I am sorry you experienced issues with SmartThings. We have identified the problem and the issue is now resolved.

1 Like

Good news, Samsung SmartThings support notified me in the past hour that the issue has been resolved on their end. I’ve confirmed that ST scenes are available again in Google Home, although I had to manually add them back in all of my routines. They’re also working fine with Alexa via my Fire TV.

Seems like this may have been a good example of the user community engaging together to get a serious service breakdown diagnosed, reported, and swiftly corrected. Thank you to OP @Simon_Daniel and all who chimed in.

2 Likes

Agreed. My ST Scenes are correctly triggering from Alexa again.

1 Like