Alternative battery for Smartthings multi sensor?

Smartthings multi sensor use a 3 volt CR2450 coin cell battery. Is there anyone having experience with alternative battery externally connected? Is it possible to step up to 3.6 volts ?

Hey there! @Kjell, that is highly unrecommended. Please remember to always refer to the Safety instructions of your device.

Instead, it is always recommended to use the battery type specified for your device. In your use case: CR2450 would be the only applicable battery to not cause damage to the device by using an incorrect type.

Here is a Screenshot of Saftey Instructions for your device explicitly stating not to use the incorrect type.

If you are looking to obtain a replacement CR2450, I would recommend a retailer who carries that type of battery in stock.

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

I fully agree that it is best to use the type of battery recommended by the manufacturer, but I imagine that this user will be seeing how to minimize the effects of excessive battery consumption of these Samsung smartthings devices, manufactured by samjin, since October 2020 when are increased the accuracy of temperature reports to 0.1 ° which practically sends events every 5 minutes.
My devices went from consuming 30% in 8 months to consuming the remaining 70% in 1 month.
Now these devices are manufactured by Aotec, are they who have to find a solution?
This issue was tagged to @SamsungZell in December and it has not been answered if smartthings are going to modify something to be able to adjust the temperature accuracy on a door/window, motion or moisture sensors, and return to battery consumption as it was when we bought them.

3 Likes

post withdrawn

1 Like

@Awestun,
That decreased battery consumption?
How much do your batteries usually work?
Thank you

post withdrawn

I think that’s a very short time!
To me, with the modification of the temperature reports every 1 hour, it has consumed 16% in 4 months.
With these usage data that I have been taking into account since January.

With 3° trigger and 1 hour temperature reports

With 1° trigger and 1 hour temperature reports

11 months ago I put AAA batteries in 2 of my v2 SmartThings Multipurpose Sensors to use on my garage doors using this 3D printed case linked below.

The CR2450 batteries only last about 3-4 months for me, and that’s with the sensor indoors. I’m now at 11 months with the pair of AAAs and they were exposed to a cold on the inside of the garage door (where it gets down to close to freezing).

You’ll see that thread I started with a 3D printed case for the v2 Motion Sensor. It might be possible to use two AAA for any device that uses a CR2450.

(and the 3D printed case turned out to be a disaster – I seriously recommend an external battery pack next to the sensor)

3 Likes

Effectively respecting the Device input voltage, having space or not having aesthetic problems, an external battery can be good solution. In fact, in the garage, for a water valve, I have a 12V, 7AH motorcycle battery, hahaha, which cost € 15.
There are AAA and AA great battery holders at amazon for just € 5.

For the House door, have to look for other solutions, while IDE works I have it solved and when it disappears, I will find my life or change the type of sensor with bigger battery.

2 Likes

These door sensors work great if you are looking for only open/close notifications. They have a CR123A battery that lists a three year battery life. I have had mine for over a year now and they still show 100% battery.

1 Like

you can find these on ebay used/new cheaper then $30. look for the 2.5 which is the zwave plus version.

1 Like

In fact, if I was doing it today, I would just use an external 2 AA battery holder for my SmartThings Multipurpose Sensors instead of the 3D printed enclosure. The extra size wouldn’t matter for my use case, which is attached to my garage door.

1 Like

Older thread, but I’m finally going to convert all of my type 1 and type 2 SmartThings multipurpose and motion sensors from 2450’s to double AAA battery enclosures because the 2450 battery life has went down significantly since I changed the DTH driver from your @Mariano_Colmenarejo battery saving DTH version back to the SmartThings DTH prior to the upcoming Edge driver migration. Not to mention that the shelf life of these bulk 2450’s I’m buying may not be what they were in the past. I found an eight pack of double AAA enclosures on Amazon, and already have enough AAA batteries on hand to do the job. And I should have enough double stick tape on hand as well. I’m looking forward to getting almost a year or hopefully longer of battery life as @jlv advised using a pair of AAA batteries instead of the 2450’s. The only thing I’m concerned with is one multipurpose sensor in a window that faces the afternoon sun. So I’ll probably place a piece of dark shade film, tin foil, or something on the window to help block the direct sunlight.

While I did get 13 months out of a pair of AAAs on one of the sensors, I was getting erratic battery life on the other sensor. Repacking the sensor and batteries in the 3d printed enclosure was difficult (external battery holders are the way to go). In the end, I just gave up and replaced them both with a pair of Iris v2 Contact sensors (I don’t use the tilt feature at all). They’ve been going for over a year now (according to my Google sheet tracking battery replacement dates) and still show 87% battery.

1 Like

Wow, that’s impressive data mining.

I bought 2 Slot AAA full case external holders with red and black wire leads. All I’ll need to do is connect the red wire to positive and black wire to negative inside the sensors, pop in some AAA batteries, and be up and running.

1 Like

It’s not data mined. It’s just a Sheet I manually update every time I replace a battery (or install something). I started it back in 2016 about half a year after I started using SmartThings and was surprised I was already replacing the battery in my v2 MuiltiSensor for the 2nd time. I wanted a way to know the battery life of various things.

I quickly learned that the MultiSensor was the worst for battery life.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m doing this because I’ve never used my motion sensors for security since they would cause false motion triggers when the battery was getting low which happens often using the 2450’s. And the multipurpose sensors would cause false acceleration triggers when their batteries were getting low (so I don’t have any knock-knock routines). So now that I’m using these much longer life external AAA battery packs, I’m now going to start using the motion sensors with the STHM security now.

What an easy ~$30 initial upgrade with about a $7.50 perpetual cost for AAA batteries every year. That’s much better then having to get a 20 pack of the 2450’s at ~$10ea every few months or so and more importantly not having to hassle with changing all the 2450 batteries so often.

$7.50 30 AAA batteries
$21.75 15 Dual AAA External Case Holders
$? Double sided tape
Done!

1 Like

You inspired me to take the time and datamine my entire Smart Home system to create a spreadsheet of my system of over 60 line entries.

BTW, it’s almost been a full month so far and all of my sensors are still showing 100%. The double stick tape I used is holding up (no pun intended) nicely as well.

1 Like