Alexa play Pandora

(Tolik) #1

I’d like when I come home for Alexa to play my Pandora station.

I’d like this to work only when I come home and no one else is home based off my phone presence senor.

Anyone know how to make Alexa play Pandora?

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #2

This would probably be something you could do in ifttt. I’m not sure, but if you can set it up there the ST side is easy.

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #3

Currently Alexa has no action set in IFTTT.

(Michael Hess) #4

Setup Lannouncer and a device near Alexa that can send a tts message?

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #5

That’s hardcore hack… Reminds me of the pic where the guy put a bunch of baby monitors around Alexa with the send units in different parts of the house…

redneck ingenuity

(Michael Hess) #6

Yeah it was mentioned a few times for folks trying to order the Amazon Dot and Tap when they weren’t home, get their Sonos’ to do it for them. :slight_smile:

(Glen King) #7

You said: Anyone know how to make Alexa play Pandora?

I guess walking in the door and saying “Alexa, play Pandora” is just too much work to do at the end of a long day.

Sorry, couldn’t resist :smiley:

(Tolik) #8

I like things to just happen :pensive:

(Eric) #9

I want to do something similar but can’t figure out how to do it. I set up a virtual switch called “dinner time” which sets the kitchen light to a lower level, family table becomes brighter, and every other light goes off. It would be nice if I could have a Pandora station start automatically playing some relaxation music. I don’t want the rest of my family to watch TV because dinner time really is family time.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #10

Well, you’ve already got the lighting part set up and working… Now we have to double your work to get this to occur.

Go into your prime account and set up a playlist. Called it something… “Groovy dinner jams” is good.

NotNow you just tell her to turn on dinner time. Then you double your work and say play me some groovy dinner jams from prime.

(Eric) #11

Actually I already have that working in a way because I use Pandora. “Alex play pandora relaxation radio” What I want is to say “Alexa turn on dinner time” which is a smartthings virtual button that turns my lights to the right level. However, I want Alexa to start playing that pandora station as well but I can’t figure out how to tie the two together. I have to do it as separate commands now which works just ok.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #12

I haven’t figured out how to do that either. I tried using askAlexa, but that didn’t with at all.

(Glen King) #13

The way to do that is to use a network AVR (such as Denon) that plays Pandora, and use IFTTT to send the command . Sorry to revive the old topic, but this is the way.

(Ron Talley) #14

I have 2 ways of doing this.

1. I use EventGhost on an always on PC to blurt out messages that Alexa hears and does.
  2. LanNouncer via several Tablets that blurt out messages that Alexa hears and does.

Both work great and the commands are mostly always executed outside of when its just too loud.

Cool stuff but I would love it if you could just send commands directly to Alexa devices.

Current Working Example:

Alexa Turn On Dining Room Romance

1. All Lights (Besides Dining Room and Living Room) Turns Off
  2. Living Room Dims to 10% in 15 seconds
  3. Dining Room Dims to 15% in 20 seconds
  4. Entertainment Center is shut completely off
  5. Tablet in Living Room blurts out Alexa Play Soft Jazz
  6. Alexa Says, “Ok Playing Soft Jazz”
  7. WAF Through the Roof!