Alexa and weather alerts

Cool, Amazon added smart weather alerts to Alexa. I agree, very useful feature, but the key point here, which SmartThings developers are at fault too, what is the point in developing new features if they are not communicated properly to the consumers in official release notes?

Amazon puts out a “What’s new with Alexa” newsletter once a week highlighting new features.

You can also view it online.

Weather alerts were already covered there. :sunglasses:

Alexa can now proactively notify you when there’s severe weather. Simply say “Alexa, tell me when there’s a severe weather alert” and Alexa will notify you when there is a local severe weather warning.

Plus the fact that half the tech bloggers on the planet will write articles like the one you linked to. :wink:

So I think they’re covered. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well, it looks like all of that webcore coding that I just finished was for naught!

2 Likes

The articles aren’t clear if you can select certain alerts only. It’d be nice to have for tornado warnings, but I don’t care about thunderstorms. Unless it’s going to kill me in my sleep, don’t wake me up to tell me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh common, you wouldn’t want Alexa to tell you in the middle of the night that wind advisory is in effect for your area? Lol

1 Like

Yes, I just enabled it. I checked the Alexa app and no options for types of weather. I would be curious which ones they alert on.

2 Likes

Haha! Flood alerts are the very reason I removed our weather radio from the bedroom. It went off no less than 4 times one night because of high water coming from a river…60 or so miles away.

1 Like

Not at the present time, but my guess is this will be one of those Alexa features which evolves to add functionality. But who knows?

2 Likes