Alexa and routines from smartthings won't trigger

so since I use ST for security and monitoring with home and away modes I seem to be unable to add my routines unless u remove the mode settings. I was hoping I could get alexa to trigger my go to bed routine with it use to turn off everything and sets my home armed mode. regardless of that issue I still can’t seem to get alexa to trigger any ST routines. is there a lingo I need to say and does anyone do this.

You would use the verbal terms turn on/off. I removed all actions that would not allow Alexa to execute routines, and then used CoRE to trigger the events I want. Also you could create a virtual switch and then tie it to the routine of your choice, just make sure you select your virtual switch in the Alexa smart app then discover devices.

1 Like

The official routine/echo integration won’t work if the routine has anything other than light, switches and thermostats in it.

However, many of us have used routines with echo for a long time, before the routines were added as an official option. You just need to use a virtual switch. You have echo turn on the virtual switch, and you have the virtual switch run the routine. That way the routine can have anything you want in it, including locks. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is interesting. I will need to look at this option of a virtual switch. Not sure where to do that but I’m sure I can muddle through the alexa app and find. So in theory I can be in my room and have alexa activate a virtual switch that would be connected somehow to my going to bed routine. Lights off house armed. Is it pretty straight forward?

1 Like

Yes, just follow the steps in the FAQ I linked to above. :sunglasses:

I’m not at home next to the hub but I made a virtual switch smart app that turns off all lights but it wasn’t like the pictures you shared and it made me pick a virtual switch that already existed like my bedroom zwave paddle light switch. I can’t seem to find an actual virtual switch it just makes me pick any devise I already have. Nothing else showed up in my things list just a new smart app…confused am I lol thanks for your help though I learn a little every day

Step one of the FAQ at the link that I gave you has the link for how you create a virtual switch. You need to do that first.

Once you’ve done that, that virtual switch will show up in your things list just like any other device.

1 Like

Boom I just stepped into the world of developer tools and now understand a whole lot more on what I can do. Thanks for your help today I have been wondering how all this is being done. I now have a virtual switch and will troubleshoot tonight to get it right. Great link thanks again

1 Like